Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike4284m

Paul Isley makes it to FL . . .

mike4284m
14 years ago

I've been lurking in the shadows lately but just had to tell you guys what a great talk Paul Isley gave at the brom society meeting last week. Apparently this is the first time he has been over here in FL to speak and I think he blew a lot of people away. His photographs were amazing and every plant had a story behind it. I imagine quite a few people over here will be adding some Tillys to their collections now.

He also brought along a "rough copy" of his book hopefully due out this year. I think many of the photographs in his presentation were straight from it. Definitely keep an eye out for this one!

He brought along a variety of plants for sale and I picked up a few that you really can't find anywhere here in FL.

Till. aeranthos 'Miniata'

{{gwi:509728}}

Till. 'Ty'

{{gwi:509729}}

Till. 'Joel'

{{gwi:509730}}

P.S. Kerry - I just saw the schedule for the WBC in New Orleans and saw that you are giving a talk. Congratulations! I wish I was going to be there to hear it.

Comments (7)

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks for the book update Mike.
    T. 'Ty' (!) is a great looking plant as it gets larger. Do I see T. diaguitensis hiding beneath Joel?

• mike4284m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah Paul said 'Ty' will only look better as it gets larger. I think he said that plant was already about 12 years old. Crazy!

Good eye on the T. diaguitensis. I guess you remember where that one came from. It has actually been doing really well for me even with my recent neglect. Sort of a "set it and forget it" brom.

Hows that Philo. warzitsname?

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi Mike - 'Tis about time you came out of Lurkerland.
    Yes, Paul Isley gave an excellent presentation at the Cairns WBC last year. I loved those (fake) rock walls with the tills attached, waterfalls, and such beautifully grown and arranged features at his nursery. I don't have his original book, but hope to invest in his newbie.

Nice new Till purchases, and a cool way of displaying them. I really like Joel's shape. Wouldn't it be good to see a giant form of that in a tree? Your Till. 'Ty' is already 12 years old! - from seed, I assume?

Thanks for the congrats re N.O. WBC - my fellow speakers are somewhat daunting company...gulp! Looks like an interesting selection. Too bad you can't make it, but I intend spending a week in Florida post-conference, so maybe we can still catch up (?).
    BTW - How's your Ae. brassicoides growing?

Gonz - you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and eagle eye for those fuzzy silver things!

K :)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Mike, was it from you I got these really slow growing A. brevicollis seeds? I wonder if all the Lamprococcus are slow growers.

These seedlings are 6 months old and just refuse to do much of anything.

{{gwi:509731}}

• mike4284m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kerry - The Ae. is doing great but I think I have a bit to go before I get that funky bloom. It is rewarding me with a healthy pup though. You'll have to keep me informed of your US tour schedule!

Nick - You're leaps beyond me. I never managed to plant any of the other seed! Oh well. I've never sown any Ae. seed but I always imagined they would be quicker than that. I know Michael Kiehl mentioned to me that he has some issues growing these out too.

On a side note that old camera of yours is still kicking!

{{gwi:509732}}
    (Note small piece of Till. usneoides, so not completely off-topic)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That's odd, Nick. I've always found Ae. brevicollis to be one of the fastest Aechmeas from seed. I can get one from seed to bloom in a little over a year, and there are very few other broms I can say that about! I did get the impression it was harder to grow elsewhere, though. I think it's fairly cold-sensitive, like Ae. corymbosa. It's also a real mealybug magnet, so I don't grow it much anymore.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Lisa, I wonder if I was given seeds with the wrong label or maybe they are hybrids. Maybe Mike can confirm the source. I started them in April, so they haven't had any low temps to slow them down. I guess I'll give them another 6 months to show some growth before I toss them out.

I don't think I've ever had a mealybug on a bromeliad or any of my plants for that matter. I'll have to ask around and see if anybody gets mealybugs.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions