Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fern_freak

need some info on size of Vrieseas

Fern_Freak
9 years ago

Hi all, im new to this forum and think its great! So much info here! Anyway my question is how big do V. Montezuma Gem, V. Patricia and finally V. Nova Queen reach? Oh and also Werauhia sanguinolenta 'Rubra' ? I want something big and eye catching but im in Sydney northern beaches so we VERY rarely get frost here and it gets shade till about 8am then sun till maybe 1pm. Any ideas my friends?
Many thanks
Tim
ps the brom will be in a basket just under eye level

Comments (9)

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

What size basket? Werauhia sanguinolenta 'Rubra' get fairly big I see, as do the 'foliage' vriesias.
    I started a V. kiwi Dawn in a basket, but didn't like the way the leaves got caught in the chains because it's baically one big vase, so I moved it to a pot on the floor and replaced it with flowering vriesia hybrids with a Tilandisa cyanea.
    If you like barred foliage, what about an Aechmea orlaniana?

Here is a link that might be useful: Werauhia sanguinolenta 'Rubra'

• Fern_Freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I shouldve explained abit better. Its not a hanging pot, its dyna bolted to the wall. Its one of those semi circle basket that has the coir matting stuff inside. Its 1.5ft wide. I had a birds nest (Asplenium nidus) in there for 2 years which hasnt done anything. I have a fairly big V. Hieroglyphica i could use. Kinda like the idea of the Werauhia in there. Never had 1 before but have got 2 being delivered this week off ebay. Only pretty small. You wouldnt happen to know the growth rate? I never seen any in my area or at the brom shows.

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Ah, ok. That sounds more workable.

I've only ever seen "babies" at bunnings, So I cant say how big they get or how much they spread.

This website has some info on the scale hybrid foliage Vriesias.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi broms

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

Your Werauhia will probably be about 1mtr wide.
    Rather than growing large broms in half pots have you thought of growing mini neos?

• splinter1804
    9 years ago

Hi everyone

Fern_Freak - They're all too big for a half basket as the leaves on the wall side will get stunted and deformed by the wall as they grow.

All the best, Nev.

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Flaming sword would work. I have mine potted alongside a mini neo.

• Fern_Freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm good point about the leaves hitting the wall.
    I do have some flamin swords coming into flower actually.
    I do have a few mini's too which aren't being used to
    their best either. I wondered about that brom I think it's
    a Bilbergia. It has the bright berries that hang down.
    Can't remember if the berries were red, orange or purple.
    Thanks for the help everyone ;)

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Hanging berries? Sounds like an Aechmea of some description. Fosters Favourite?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmeas

• Fern_Freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats the one!!!!! Thanks Adam. I think i may have one somewhere in the garden. Would a few of them be ok with maybe some old mans beard hanging down ( if the ringailed possums dont steal it for their nest again)?
    Thank you for everyones input. So glad to find some other brom freaksðÂÂÂ

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz
More Discussions