Vriesea - RoRo

Vriesea - Kakadu

Vriesea - Fosteriana hybrid

Vriesea - platynema flava x racinae

Vriesea - Snows of Mauna Kea F2

Vriesea - Pahoa Beauty x heiroglyphica

Vriesea - gigantea

Vriesea - Fantasy

Foliage vrieaea are my favorites - hope you enjoy!

Cheers Richard

Comments (27)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice !

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Thanks for pics.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Nice collection Richard! Forest is my fav of the bunch.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Richard - Thanks so much for sharing the pics of your wonderful vriesea collecton with us. Oh! if only I could grow them like that. All he best, Nev.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Always a pleasure to see some nice foliage Vrieseas as they are very difficult to get hold of here by us. Very nice plants and thanks for sharing!

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

What lovely photos of sooooo many stunning foliage vrieseas, Richard! All are beautifully grown. Thanks for the treat :)

It's hard to pick my favourites, but up there are - Hawaiian Sunset, Pahoa Beauty x hieroglyphica, Kahuna John, Forrest, Montezuma's Gem, and...and...and!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• jaga
    15 years ago

Very nice collection Richard- we too are rather patial to foliage vriesea. How large does the Pahoa Beauty x Hieroglyphica get? The opposite cross has been registered as Hawaiian Sunrise. We have both but they are still young. Does the Snow of Manoa Kea F2 get as white as the original?
    Love the Red Chestnut Hybrid & the Kahuna John.

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Hi jaga, the PB x heiro is currently 75cm across x 50cm tall grown hard and compact. I am yet to flower it.
    I have a couple of Snows of M and nice and white especially from underneath but not as white as the original.

Cheers Richard

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Richard,

Great looking plants, how old are they?

Any tips for us novice Vriesea growers, fertiliser etc?

Thanks,
    Rick

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rick, some are 2-3 years old other larger ones are up to 5 years old and my dark fosteriana is 7 years old and finally coming to flower.

We grow our foliage vriesea hard and compact under 50% shadecloth unimpeded by trees our water is straight from the river and due to hand watering they don't get watered very often they also get a pinch of osmocote/nutricote every now and then mainly when split and potted up.
    We find we get smaller plants but good colour.

Hope this helps - Cheers Richard

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

Rick

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Richard,

Many thank for very colorful pics. of lovely vriesia. Vriesia is one of my fevorite but unfortunately very difficult in hot tropical climate as my place. I just lost only one V.hieroglyphica last month. It was sad.

Cheers Yong

• max838
    15 years ago

wow wow
    It is really too admirable
    Hope one day ,I can collect all ^^

• jopogi_gwapito
    14 years ago

hello brom nutter.. would you mind sharing where to get these lovely vrieseas? thanks

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I missed this the first time around so glad it has been brought back to the top of the list.

Great looking Vr's Richard!! thanks for sharing - hope they are all still going well.

Kristan

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi jopogi gwapito, most of these plants are available in Australia and some in NZ but they are still hard to get and sort after.

Cheers Richard

• jopogi_gwapito
    14 years ago

i tried to contact andrew maloy of NZ but he said they dont send plants outside of NZ. any other growers there you know of? i will do a research of Australia.. thanks..

• jadgee
    13 years ago

Hi Richard,
    The images of Vrieseas in your collection just blow me away.
    I don't get to Oz or NZ too often - sadly never, and I doubt I'd be able to bring plants out to UK anyway - so before I start trying to source some of the Vrieseas you show from US or elsewhere, it would be helpful to know what temperature/humidity range your plants obviously thrive under.
    Your "location" in Australia would be helpful as a start for me, or if you have the time & inclination to help a newbee Vriesea collector with max/min temps that would be appreciated.
    I have acquired some Vrieseas (+ other Broms) from "Michaels Bromeliads" in Florida during visits to US and there is a source in Germany (Westermann) I will try, but with the cost of importing from these locations to UK I wanted to make sure I can keep them happy (for a few years at least) in my garden/greenhouse.
    Apologies for very late response to your original post but I only just came across your super images.
    Many thanks for brightening my weekend - the link to your post is recorded for regular visits during the UK autumn and winter!!
    Thanks, Norm

• marleneann
    13 years ago

What can I say but...WOW!

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Norm, I find the foliage vriesea with fosteriana parentage seem to be very hardy, but in general most seem to handle our conditions.

My location is in the foot hills of the Ranges in Mid NSW.
    We get temps down to -6 C and up to 45 C.
    We don't have very long winters 10-12 weeks is about all.
    But it does get very cold.
    We have wet summers and dry winters mostly.
    All plants are grown under shade cloth (50% green)
    Hope this is of some help.

Good Luck & Happy Growing

Cheers Richard

• jerhuty58
    13 years ago

Hi Richard. I am vriesea lover.
    Thank you for your perfect foliage vriesea.
    Would your mind sharing your potting mix vriesea ?
    Cheers Pom.

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pom,
    I use a good quality 5-10mm orchid bark mixed with premium potting mix at a ratio 50/50.

Cheers Richard

• jerhuty58
    13 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Pom

• jadgee
    13 years ago

Hi Richard,
    Many thanks for details of your local climate.
    I can replicate the cold winter, wet summer, shade cloth and even the dry winter - in my greenhouse, together with the potting mix you provided to Pom.
    What will take many years, is to develop the undoubted skill and experience that enables you to grow your wonderful Vrieseas to perfection.
    Thanks for your advice......and if you wonder whether to post more images of your plants on this forum in future, please do!
    Cheers Norm

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I was just curious what the time frame would be for a Vriesea foliage hybrid to transform from a seedling (germinate and growing to a showy adult/sub-adult plant.)
    Of course this would depend upon growing condition, nutrients, and species, but on the average, what are we talking about?

• gardenbear1
    12 years ago

Very nice looking, love all the colors

Bear

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

Wow, this goes back years ago however i just got my first V. Mont Gem and am totally amazed by it. I realise this post is old however your plants are amazing!!! Thank you for sharing âº

Tim

Sponsored
More Discussions