Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

Need Help from those with knowledge.

lovelyiris
15 years ago

As some of you might recall I've recently purchased a few different Bromeliads. I now have 15 different ones. LOL

My problem is that it has been rather cold here the past few days. So I moved my broms out of the greenhouse into the house. I was afraid that it might get too cold in the greenhouse for them.

My question is this. Can I keep these sun loving broms in the house next to a window with extra lighting? Should I mist them a couple of times a day so they don't dry out from the heat inside the house? How much water should I keep in the cups?

Since I'm new to growing them I don't want them to croak over the winter. I want to keep them going strong so I can't plant them outside in baskets and such this spring.

Needless to say I'm hooked and I just have to have more. LOL

Someone from South Texas wrote me an email, if you read this would you please email me again and tell me what all broms you have? I think I'll be buying a few each month to add to my collection.

A new brom addict has been created. If anyone knows of someone offering specials or something along that line I would be very interested. I want a bunch of different broms but I have to be able to keep them alive over the winter months or I will not be happy.

Thanks for any and all help.

Happy Gardening, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Marian

Comments (5)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

The neoregelia will be fine in the greenhouse if you can maintain 40F. The guzmania can go in the house, water the roots and let them dry before watering again. They dont like excessive heat or cold...they are a office or house plant if they came from Lowes or home Depot. Depending on what other genera you have, each is a bit different in their requirements.
    Broms with cups just keep water half full and dump it weekly, replace with fresh water.
    Do you know what genera you have already?

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Hotdiggetydam,
    I have no ideal what I have. LOL I got an assortment from Bromeworld or something like that in Florida. They sent me 6 very lovely large broms and each one is different.

I was looking at some photos and one of them kind of looks like Black Chantini????

A couple of them are kind of reddish/purpleish kind of splashes with green.

One is more red than anything else and it looks like a fireball or something, and has several plants in the one pot. These plants are smaller than the others but are every bit as pretty if not more so.

Then there are 2 striped ones that have differnt colors green, white, and pink and large plants. These two have the same colors in them but do not look like the same plants.

As you can see I have so very much to learn about bromeliads. All I can say is that I love each one of them and want many many more to add to my small collection. LOL

Can anyone else relate to a Bromeliad Newbie????
    Thanks again for the help! I hope to learn alot about these plants from all of you here on the website.

Happy Gardening, Marian

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Did you get an invoice? names should be on that

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't get an invoice of anything. All that was in the box was the six different bromeliads. I thought maybe it would be on the otherside of the label that they put on the box. It wasn't there either. So I just figured that I got such a great deal on them price wise that they didn't bother with telling me what they were. LOL

Maybe they just forgot to put the invoice inside the box. I don't know but it is the first time I've bought plants from someone and they didn't include names of the plants.

Thanks for attempting to help me. Until I learn some of the language and terms used regarding broms, I'll be lost at attempting to discribe the plants, growth habits, and so forth.

Thanks again, Marian

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That's probably why you got a good deal. They just send out an assortment of whatever they're trying to clear out or have lost the tags for. Paperwork costs money. ;-)

Pictures would help too.