Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing Brom. seed

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 14:02

Hi everyone - I read on previous posts that it's possible to freeze Brom. pollen for future use.

Can the same be said for Brom. seed; and if so, how long would it stay viable for? (Sorry lyndi_whye I put this in your post by mistake)

Thanks in advance, All the best, Nev.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing Brom. seed

Hi Nev, yes you can freeze brom seed for longer term storage. See the link below to a previous discussion on this topic.

Also, here is some related info that came from Andrew Flower.

" Extended seed (and pollen) storage can be achieved by keeping it cool and dry - temperature around 3-5 C works well. To keep seed dry, enclose it in a small sealed glass/plastic container with a dessicant such as calcium chloride or silaca gel (obtain from a chemist). Ideally, you would also place the first small container in a larger glass/plastic container that also has some dessicant in it.
This worked well for me when I was running a seed bank, and also with pollen storage in my nursery.
Cheers! Andrew Flower,Editor, Bromeliad Society International."

Nev, If you have any other questions about freezing seed, let me know & I'll see if I can answer, based on my trials over the last few years.

Cheers, Andrew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storing brom seed.

o

I think that there are a couple doomsday seedbanks/vaults. They are all in very cold places. I wonder what is their plan to get the seeds to warm places after doomsday.

o

Yes I have wondered about that too, Bromadams.

I have been considering ordering some brom seed through the Brom-L group. Eric Gouda keeps it stored at 3% RH (relative humidity). My concern is that by the time it is posted from Europe to Oz, it might no longer be viable?

K

o

My german friend, Timm Stolten, the curator at Heidelberg Botanical Garden
had germinated Dyckia seeds which stored in freezer for 11 years !!! successfully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckias from the Iceage

o

Hi everyone - Thanks a lot for all the interesting information. I guess I'll have to see what works for me.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here