Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Orthophytum saxicola problems

Posted by lrn2gro MI (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 15:00

Okay so I had posted about this plant before but still am running into issues. Before the leaves were curling down and were turning brown. so I was watering more often. Now it looks like I am watering too much?? I cannot find a happy medium with this plant! Any suggestions? I cannot seems to find anything on Orthophytum saxicola on the web.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Orthophytum saxicola problems

I am no bromliad expert but try the succulent forum because it looks like a succulent of some kind, but check here once a while to see anyone drop by.

o

as the species names implies ( saxicola = saxicolous = growing on rocks ) it likes growing on a fast draining stony outcropping but I have found that a little bit of soil helps with nutrient value.

I garden in zone 9 (northern california) and bring about 1/2 of my bromeliads into an unheated greenhouse or under the covering of the front porch and hold the watering until late winter / early spring ... with a few exceptions.

These Orthophytums tend to have the same growing needs as Dyckias. I do not water them at all during the winter.

o

I mentioned the same thing in the previous post. Likely it's from a more humid climate, rain has a lot of oxygen whereas tap water usually has next to none. The tap water in soil would maintain a virtually oxygen-free environment around the roots, a recipe for rot. In its natural environment it would have regular rain water which would drain fast.

o

so should I stop watering for the winter? should i cover it with something to keep humidity up? The only problem I have with that is that I tend to attract gnats with humid moist environments.
tropicbreezent: are you suggesting I try to water with only rain water? If so this will be a little difficult for me

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here