Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for you Paul

Posted by vriesea (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 16:03

Hi Paul, here's a couple of photos from Vr.'Uluru Sunset' x self and one of it crossed with Vr.'Milky Way' just to show you the strenght of the Vr. 'Uluru Sunset' this is fairly typical of both crosses some a bit deeper colour ( sorry they are a bit out of focus ,)am to lazy to fix ok ? so you get an idea of what to expect if you self the plant so this is it selfed

Vr' Uluru Sunset' x self

and crossed 'Milky Way'

Vr  ' Uluru Sunset x Vr 'Milky Way'

there you have it ,see the things you get if you ask on this forum ? he he .
Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for you Paul

Ahaa! Now I know what happened to Richard. No sympathies though - this is great stuff.

I see what you mean about the way 'Uluru Sunset' dominates in its offspring. There are some differences there in colour and form but very much a consistent theme. So, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this one if I'm looking to get some big variations from the genetic lottery dip by selfing.

But, all is not lost! I just love the orangey / ochre tones in these plants. So, given the dominance of those characters, maybe they will be a good base for developing that further and getting some lines of super orange/ochre plants. Not many of those around. Hmmmm, the more I think about that, the more I am even keener about it than I was before!

So Jack ..... what can I say? It is just fantastic when you share these things around. Thanks so much.

All the best, Paul

o

I suggest Paul that you cross the Vr. 'Uluru Sunset ' with Vr, 'Angela' may give no broad leaves but ? colours aplenty ,will show you what you can expect from that type of thing ,Vr.' Red Opal '

Vr. ' Red Opal '

hope you will get really keen ,plant is a bit past its prime and as its in spike and pollinated i did not move it for a better shot ,cheers
Jack

o

Love the F2s! Out of focus or not, that golden orange color works for me. I want to see more Vrieseas in the orange and red tones..... but only if I can get them in the US! ;-p

o

Hi Jack, very nice plant and that's a great idea. I'm freezing a whole lot of 'Uluru Sunset' pollen, so when my 'Angela' flowers - it should be big enough next year - I'll give it a go. Thanks again, Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here