Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

Guzmania lingulata, outside?

marcia_m
13 years ago

I rescued two plants at the local Lowe's (75% off) that I think are Guzmania lingulata, but I could be wrong--these are my first bromeliads. One plant is large, one small. The small plant has 2 little 'pups.' There is a second plant in the pot with the larger brom that is almost as large as the one that flowered.

I would like to grow these plants outside in the ground, but I'm not sure that is appropriate for this type of bromeliad. I am in zone 9b, south of Sarasota, FL. I hope someone can help me--did I correctly ID them, and what's the best way to grow them here?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Marcia

Larger plant

{{gwi:513686}}

small plant

{{gwi:513687}}

Comments (6)

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

I'm in S. Sarasota county, and you just need to put them in the shade. I have all my broms growing under an oak tree in the back yard. If you keep them in pots, and have no way to protect them, they need covering or bringing in during cold snaps. Mine have been fine under the oak. I had some damage last year from the cold, but those were plants that had already bloomed, so they were going to die anyway. The clumps seem to protect themselves, I guess by producing warmth, just like grouping plants together during the cold. I have never lost a brom to the cold under those trees, nor did I lose any that were up close to the house, fully exposed on the north side of the house. Just think of the broms and orchids that grow in the trees down here that thrive, no matter what nature throws at them.

Anything you need to know, just write me, and I'll tell you what I've learned.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. My oak tree is small but I have some dappled shade under it. I'll just amend the soil a little and put the plants there. I haven't decided whether to put the pots and all in the ground, or unpot and plant. The two plants were less than $5 on the reduced rack so it won't be a big loss if they don't make it. I'd really like to find an Aechmea fasciata and other easy broms for the sun to plant but don't like the $15 price tags :-)
    Marcia

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi dirtygardener,

I'm from Australia and I'm not familiar with your growing conditions so all I can tell you is what I do over here.

I have some Guzmanias growing in the garden and I find that they grow best if I mound up the place where they are to grow with a good quality free draining cymbidium orchid mix and plant them in this, not in the natural garden soil.

Guzmanias in general like it a bit more shady than other bromeliads and they also like a bit more fertilizer. They will burn easily if given too much sun and they are easily damaged by the wind.

Before I plant them in the garden, while they are still in the pot I try them in different locations and when I find the spot they like, that's where I plant them.

In summary, under a tree or 75% shade cloth, out of the wind should see them grow happily.

As for the ID of your plant, I don't think it's Guzmania lingulata which is a species.

We don't have Lowe's stores in Australia but I'm assuming it is a department type store like our Bunnings, Big W, K-Mart etc. In Australia Guzmanias and Vrieseas sold by these stores are really aimed at the flower market rather than the hobbiest grower and usually just identified by a generic label saying "Bromeliad". That's why I think your plant is probably one of the many thousands of commercial type un-named hybrids sold every year in these types of stores.

All the best, Nev.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about broms, Nev. I'll apply your information when caring for these plants. If they are a Guzmania hybrid, that's all I need to know right now. Their exact variety isn't important to me yet--just need to know how best to care for them. I appreciate your posting.
    Marcia

• allan4519
    13 years ago

Hi Marcia, like Nev, am from Oz, though in a slightly warmer area than Nev, where Guzmania grow well as our winters are shorter and usually warmer.
    The plants you have look very much like the many tissue cultured Guzmania derived from Guzmania wittmackii &/ or Guzmania lingulata sp. These two species are reasonably hardy compared to many Guzmania.
    How cold is your garden in winter ie minimum night temperature? & for how long? ie 2 weeks/year or 3 months/year.
    What Nev said about putting mix in garden then planting plant in it & protecting from wind, is definitely the safest method of growing them.

In warmer climates they take more sun though if uncertain, protect from frost & morning sun is always a safer location than afternoon sun location.
    Preferred night temps for Guzmania is around 10 oC minimum though these species can handle 0 oC if protected from frost while day temps rise above 15 oC each day?
    I grow large numbers of Guzmania from seed & in warm climates like here they can be very hardy.
    allan

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Allan. Last winter it got to 22-24F (-6 to -4C) on several nights, although those temperatures are unusual for winters here (Sarasota County, Florida, zone 9b). Daytimes got into the 50s-60s during that time (10-15C). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this winter will be more typical. Of course, if I lose the plants (we won't be here for a month over Christmas holidays), nothing I can do about that.

I'm going to plant them as Nev and you have suggested. However, the weather forecast for tomorrow through Wednesday night is not good--in the low 40s at night (4-6C) with days in the low 70s! Brr-rr! I'll bring in the potted plants for a few days and will plant them after the cold spell passes.

Thanks for your comments.
    Marcia

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions