Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Nightime pictures

avane_gw
15 years ago

Yesterday I put a Japanese lantern next to my Koi pond and it creates such a nice mood at night with just enough light to create an 'atmosphere' without lighting up the whole surround. And I was wondering how to capture that on a picture - it was then that I remembered my camera tripod that I used for my old manual SLR cameras and I gave it a shot. I still have to practice with the right lens openings and shutter speeds and focussing in the dark, but I am quite impressed! I tried to take a picture of Lisa's Ring of Fire by only the light of that 11 watt lamp and it also came out not to bad. So I tried DeRolf as well. Now I got a new hobby!!!

Japie

{{gwi:514178}}

{{gwi:514179}}

{{gwi:514180}}

Comments (17)

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

WOW again!

Ring of Fire is particularly beautiful with an almost translucent quality.

Please keep us involved in your new hobby!!!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice Japie

• jaga
    15 years ago

Very nice- look forward to seeing more.

Cheers J & A

• inang
    15 years ago

Another woweee, more please.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That looks great, Japie! I think I'll rename it 'Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble'.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Bring on more Twilight Zone pics, Japie! Very ethereal.

K

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I like the Derolf: 13", F4 with ISO 100. Did you let the camera figure that out and how did you focus? You must have a better lens than the kit lens. I have a 450D vs your 350D and desperately need to get a tripod and some new glass would be good too.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Bromadams, I must admit I cheated! I just put the camera on A-Dep setting and pushed the button. The camera did all the work - and it is just the kit lens. I did take 5 pictures and selected the best one. I plan to experiment and do some fine-tuning.

Lisa, I can understand he BB, but the TT?

Japie

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi avane - Yes, all of what everyone else said!
    All the best, Nev

• inang
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for the info.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I played around a bit more tonight so here is here is Aech pectinata at night:
    {{gwi:514181}}

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

You've inspired me to try a few night shots now Japie. These photos do add a sense of drama...I like the way the lighting in the last pic shows off the trunk of your ponytail palm.

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

That is beautiful, Japie. So tropical and inviting. I am amazed that none of your collection has gone walkies. I would love to replicate the look in my front yard, (but I will start with some of my less valuable plants, mistrusting individual that I am).

Is that a Ponytail Palm? I mistook it for a Dracaena, but then the base does look like a Ponytail. Very dramatic plant!

Thank you so much for the visual feast!

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

I agree, Japie - fan-blardy-tastic!
    What a welcoming paradise - pink sky and all. Congratulations on an artistic masterpiece, and thanks heaps for enlightening us - and your garden.

K

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bromcrazy, yes, that is a ponytail, I am not too sure what it's real name is, but I think it is Beaucarnea stricta. The big dracaena I've got, is aroud the bend in the front of the house (see post with pectinata pictures). It has split into 4 heads already.

Japie

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

Of course, Japie!

It didn't occur to me that there was more than one species in the genus having the same common name. Live and learn! I have a young B. recurvata that looks like Cousin It on a bad hair day. Your pony is using some seriously heavy duty hair gel. ;) I love the structural element it lends to your garden.

And yes, I have already coveted your Dracaena around the corner. Very nice! When you say it has split into four heads 'already', I get the feeling it is not such an old plant. How long has it been in the ground?

Your garden is beautiful, Japie. You should be justifiably proud of your accomplishments.

Regards,
    Shirlene

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirlene
    The B recurvata is a much faster growing one for me and it also has a smooth trunk. My stricta with the heavy duty hair gel, also has seriously sharp, saw-edged leave blades!

My draco is in the ground for about 16 years now, but my soil is very bad. Very heavy clay. My plant flowered 9 years ago. About 12 years ago I planted a very young one for a friend down the road. She carted in loads of compost every year and her plant grew very lush without flowering. She has moved since and the new owners let the garden go without care and now experiencing very harsh conditions, the plant flowered 2 years ago and you can already see the splitting happening up top.

{{gwi:514182}}

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions