bromcrazy

Praise Be...

bromcrazy
15 years ago

Billbergia Praise Be, that is.

{{gwi:514528}}

{{gwi:514530}}

{{gwi:514532}}

Early this year I purchased this Billy on Oz Ebay. Since then I have been searching for any other reference to the name to no avail.

The seller has several registered hybrids to their credit, so perhaps this is one that has not been registered as yet.

Does anyone else have this plant (or heard of it)? The name suggests to me that Hallelujah plays a part... Then again, it may be misnamed? Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Shirlene

Comments (16)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice Bill. I owuld contact the seller to shedlight on the name since they have registered hybrids

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi

Nice Bill!!! I reckon its got a lot of Domingues Martens more so than Hallelujah, perhaps its a X between Hallelujah and DM?

Neomea

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

For sure a Domingos Martins hybrid, but then so is Hallelujah, so that doesn't rule it out as a parent. It reminds me a lot of Midnight Sun, but I don't think that's in Oz yet, and the flower is a bit different anyway.

• bromcrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, your Midnight Sun is a beautiful plant... Just had a sneak peak on FCBS ;) I agree with your thoughts regarding the flower, this one being less spectacular. I am going to have to store pollen because it is the only Bill I have in flower at present.

The connection with Hallelujah was made because of the name only. That was momentarily shot out of the water when I noticed there is also a B. Glory Be, however the Domingos Martins pedigree rings true.

As HDD suggested, I will endeavour to contact the person I purchased it from to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks all!

Regards,
    Shirlene

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Hi Shirlene...lovely pics!

I also have one of these. It is by Ivan Hole of Toowoomba QLD. I would have said Dom Mart in its parentage also but have asked someone who knows Ivan, if they know for sure on its breeding.

I also searched for its registration to no avail, and then my friend posted on our chat site re this..so I will let you know if she finds anything out.

He (Ivan) also has another Bill called Moonlight, also lovely and also unregistered.

I am an Aussie eBay addit and have seen Priase Be listed on there - lustfully. Which seller did you get yours from?

Shane-the-Bromaholic.

• bromcrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Shane,

Great to hear from you! Thanks so much for that information, and I wait with bated breath to find out if you will discover more in due course.

Embarrassing as it is, I must admit to having CRAFT disease (hoping a fellow Aussie knows of that dreaded illness ;)). I think I got this Bill from Russ, only because I have bought MANY Bills from him. It was fairly early in the year...

At any rate, I trawled through my lists of eBay correspondence this afternoon, found Russ' email address and sent away a query. When/if I hear back, I'll update.

Through more good luck than good management, I have a pot full of seedlings from B. Ellen II, and, seeing how 'easy' it is, I would love to try with Praise Be.

Regards,
    Shirlene

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Hey Shirlene...argh CRAFT disease; yes I am getting that as I get older..a sad thing it is!

I know Russ Hol...... a good bloke, nice plants. I have also bought planty from him.

I do not have Bil Ellen but have admired her - looks like a good cross with Praise Be.

Will post more if/when I find out.

Happy Broming!

Shane

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

CRAFT disease is also knows as CRS..at any rate it is a wide spread problem in all corners of the earth

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Given your ebay/bromeliad addiction, I was thinking CRAFT might mean Can't Resist...

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Yes HDD, CRAFT is the Aussie version of CRS.

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Ya'll are killing me! I was seeing someone knitting, scrapbooking, and so forth only to find out that it's like our CRS. I think I figured out EXACTLY what each letter stands for. LOL

Happy Gardneing and all those good things from another Crafty Person. Y=Ya'll.

Marian

• bromcrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parentage for Praise Be has just been confirmed as Domingos Martins and Hallelujah but Russ is unsure which was the seed parent. Also confirmed is that it is a hybrid of Mr Ivan Hole from Toowoomba, so Shane is on the right track.

CRS??? Cranio-rectal Syndrome?

Enough! Must get back to my scrapping. :)

• inang
    15 years ago

Very Nice! Wish I can have one.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I love Russ's hybrids. I will be glad when they finally get here

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

10 points for "cranio-rectal syndrome". There's a lot of that going around, alright........

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Also suffering from CRAFT disease, HDD?
    That is one of Ivan Hole's hybrids, not Russ's. LOL

K

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions