Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solo78

Orthophytum seed

solo78
15 years ago

Hi all,

Have any of you had experience in pollinating and setting seed on Orthophytums?

Is it easy? Do they form berries like Aechmeas or do they produce dry capsules? Are the seeds easily raised?

The one's I'm interested in setting seed on are the naviodes types.

Comments (3)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Solo, are you trying to get self-pollinated seeds or make hybrids?

O. navioides doesn't self-pollinate. Perhaps if you were somehow able to get 2 different clones and cross them it might, but I have no idea whether all the plants in the trade originate from a single specimen or not. It will occasionally set seed when pollinated with a Neo, but it works much better as a pollen parent. The bigeneric seed will not always be viable either.

I have also tried pollinating navioides with 2 forms of O. burle-marxii. Only one of them set seed, and that didn't germinate. Same with doing the cross the other direction and with crossing the 2 forms of burle-marxii with each other. Some of them did set seed, but none were viable. On the other hand O. burle-marxii v. Seabrae does self-pollinate and produces viable seeds. You don't need to hand-pollinate that one, it will do it all by itself.

The fruit is a hard capsule and gives no obvious indication when the seeds are ripe. You just have to keep tugging gently on the tip of the capsule to test it. If the seeds are ripe, the tip will pop off when pulled, and you have to dig the seeds out with tweezers or some other small tool. Sow them on the surface of the media and keep the pots covered and moist until the seedlings feel firm enough to withstand the elements. They are not fast-growing, but not the slowest of the brom world either. You can probably get a mature plant in 2-4 years, depending on your conditions.

• solo78
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi lisaclv,

Thank you for your response and your advice.

I'm trying to grow pure species from seed. I'm trying to get plants of the same species but of different clones in the hope of getting viable seed. Hopefully it will work.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Of course, I agree with what Lisa said. I hand pollinated a O. Warren Loose by just sticking anthers down inside flower and that seemed to work often enough. Dissect a few flowers to figure out what you're dealing with before you pollinate.

I recently harvested seeds from that O. Warren Loose and I had no trouble figuring it out. I just went and gently tugged on the pods with small needle nose pliers and found the ones that were ready. They all pretty much looked the same, except you could see the dark seeds at the ends of those that took. They didn't swell much or turn color. I got anywhere from 2 to 6 seeds from a single seed pod.

Sponsored
More Discussions