Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solo78

varigated Alcantareas

solo78
15 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience growing varigated and albomarginated Alcantareas?

Do they pup regularly and does the varigation get passed on to the pups?

I'd imagine varigated glaziouana and extensa would produce pups, but I'm not sure how you would get pups on a varigated imperialis. Perhpas growing the plant to full-size and then stabbing the meristem to induce pups?

Any information?

Comments (9)

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Solo78,

Most of us WISH we had experience growing variegated alcantareas! They are few and far between in most places around the brom-growing world. Probably the most available would be in the U.S. We have discussed these desirable broms a few times on this forum, with included photos - and of some with pups.

Others on this forum may be able to answer your specific questions. Meanwhile, type in the search engine at the bottom of the page "variegated alcantareas".

Cheers,
    Kerry

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

P.S. Are you lucky enough to be growing those mentioned, Solo78?

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I wouldnt stab a variegated alcantarea unless I was in the business of selling them.....to beautiful to ruin not to mention...very expensive. The variegated ones I know of are stable since the originals were variegated when they were collected in the wild.

• stephania
    15 years ago

Though I'm a spiny lover, but this beautiful variegated Alc. extensa
    at my friend's collection make me drool, too.(see my face!)
    With this size, the plant has not produced pup yet. (I hope soon, LOL)

{{gwi:514820}}

• solo78
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have only 1 A.glaziouana with leaves albo-marginated in yellow. It isn't the best varigation ever, but it is there. I am looking at getting other varigated / albo-marginated Alcantareas but since they are so expensive and such a mission to obtain I wanted to find out if they can be propagated or not. If they can be propagated this would justify the cost and the effort. They must surely propagate some how otherwise growers wouldn't be able to offer them.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

They are propagated and cost $500-1000 US dollars depending on which plant it is

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Several are propagated from seed of unvariegated alcantareas - the odd seedling out of thousands of seed sown. Very few of these have reached maturity yet.

Solo78, you are lucky to have a flavomarginated Alc. glaziouana - especially in Australia! Two variegated Alc. extensas, grown and donated by Aussie Bruce Dunstan, were auctioned at the World Bromeliad Conference in Cairns late June this year. The first one sold for AUD $4,500.00, and the other for AUD $2,500.00. Both were young plants, and grown from seed. I am unaware of any growers offering them in Australia - and believe me, I have asked!
    Maybe our grandchildren will have better access to these beauties, in time.

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

They are offered here in the US but I dont have a spare arm and leg to buy one LOL

• neomea
    15 years ago

WOW...Steph. That is stunning, we may see these arriving in South Africa in 2100...or later. LOL!!!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions