Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of insects on Spanish moss.

Posted by tropicalzone7 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 19:58

Hi!
I just bought spanish moss off the internet ans should be recieving it soon. I know these plants are known for being a haven for a lot of insects, and I would like to know the best way fo getting rid of them without getting bitten, or killing the plants (if thats even possible).
The spanish moss will be spending its time indoors for the winter and will probably go out sometime late spring (to avoid being destroyed by the birds during nesting season). I have alot of other airplants that spend their winters indoors as well, and so far they are doing pretty well (since they are in a relatively humid area).

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of insects on Spanish moss.

If you do have insects then maybe you should get a small insect eating lizard to do the work for you. I've never had a problem with insects and spanish moss, but then I have very little spanish moss and lots of lizards.

o

The lizard sounds good.
I have heaps around the place and have never seen any insects.

o

I dont have any lizards around by me this time of the year, but I guess if the insects become a problem I could always get one at the pet shop. Hopefully the spanish moss wont come with any bugs, but I will swish it around some warm water for a few minutes, and then let it air dry just in case.

Thanks for all your input!

o

Nobody has any business selling ANY plant on-line that hasn't been thoroughly cleared of any insect infestation. Very bad business policy! This is exactly the reason why the import/export policies of the U.S. (esp. CA,FL, and HI) are painfully cruel.
This is the new poster put out by the USDA for California.

Photobucket

o

WOW, California's not joking when it comes to plant polices! So far Ive never bought anything off the internet that has come infested with bugs, and thats the main reason why I dont buy plants from other countries (by the time a plant passes through customs maybe 3 weeks later, it will be half dead, if it passes customs at all).

When I get my spanish moss later this week, Ill update you on its condition! Wish me luck :)

o

I would rinse it vigorously in a 5 gallon bucket of water, and Gonzer is right there should be no bugs if it's shipped. I did have someone bring me back some Spanish Moss from Florida once, and it was full of bugs. A couple of good rinses like I described above took care of them.

o

Good news, I got my spanish moss and it is free of bugs (that I can see). Ill still rinse it in some water just in case, but I dont think I will have any problems :)

Thanks again for everyones help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here