Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

New Bromeliad Lover Needs advice

lovelyiris
15 years ago

First let me say hello to everyone and tell you I know nothing about bromeliads but have fallen in love with them.

I tried to find someone / anyone to trade me a couple of theirs for a couple of mine that I don't even know the names of. Of course no one was interested in NOIDS.

I was somewhat disappointed but was not going to give up without a fight. So I started looking up bromeliads on the internet to buy. Of course I fell in love with just about everyone of them I saw. Since I wanted several different ones to grow and hang from my trees in the Spring I settled for a group of 6 different sun bromeliads.I can't wait to get them, and I'm sure each of you know EXACTLY what I'm going through!

When I go out to my small greenhouse I invision it with a bunch of different broms all over it. LOL So when my grocery store got a shipment in this week I bought 6 more and placed them on a shelf in the greenhouse. The names of them are all in the pots and I didn't bother with getting the names off them today.

I realized that all of these broms are planted in neat little ceremic pots without any drain holes. Although they look really great in these pots I'm worried that they need holes for the roots to breath. I would appreciate any advice any of you can give me regarding what they need to be potted in and their needs other than water.

If anyone has any small pups they would be willing to trade or exchange for something else I'd be very interested in getting my collection going to hang in my trees this coming Spring.

FYI One of my noids has long tubes about 1-2 inches around and about 12 inches long. They grow in huge clusters and have long pink blooms that hang down, at the end of the pink bloom it has smaller blueish purple blooms. The blooms are over a ft long. Any ideals what this brom might be?

Thanks in advance and Happy Gardening from a new brom mom and addict.

Marian

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions