Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else growing broms outside in z8b/9a?

Posted by southlatropical 9 South Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 21:40

Last year I planted out a few Billbergia nutans in a microclimate area and they sailed through winter with zero damage. Our lowest temp was 23.8F. This year I have two big Billbergia pyramidalis planted out in the same area to see how they do. What are others growing outdoors in z8b/9a? What is the lowest temp they have been exposed to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else growing broms outside in z8b/9a?

Mine are in a 9a with only shade cloth over them and they do fine...if it gets to cold I use smudge pots

o

I've been growing some here in the UK for a few years, Billbergia nutans, Fasciularia bicolor,Puya Berteroniana, Chilensis, Mirabliis with no problems.

This year I got ,Nidularium fulgens,Aechmea recurvata'' Aztec gold'' .Dyckia, Remotifolia , Frigida and a Greigia sphacelata all waiting for places to be planted

There are still a few others I'm after but they are hard to come by here.

o

• Posted by tomas z9 Rome, Italy (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 10:52

Look at the list, all those listed as surviving 20F or lower should be worth a try.
Here in Rome, zone 9a, A. caudata, distichantha,ornata, recurvata, N. spectabilis, Q. arvensis, T. aeranthos, T. bergeri are long term survivers
Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful: cold hardiness

o

The weakness of the cold hardy lists are micro climate arent taken into consideration and there are many ways to create those.

o
here are a few in z8a

i have been growing billbergia nutans, billbergia distachia, aechmea distachantha, dyckia chloristaminae, tillandsia recurvata (its reseeding) in central alabama. i plan to try more this spring.

o

Thanks for all the info everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here