Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haiyoliz

Guzmania needs help!

haiyoliz
9 years ago

This is my first post and sadly it is because I need help with my Guzmania! I'm pretty new to gardening but I'm somehow keeping all of my plants alive. However recently my Guzmania started looking really bad and I don't know what caused it. I have only had it for a month or so. It was doing just fine in low light indoors (it got scorched in bright so I was keeping it away from the window), with well draining soil with drainage holes, I kept it misted and put water around the tray under the decorative pot (so the drainage holes were never touching the water), and kept water in the cup and slightly moist soil.
It was doing fine, but suddenly I started seeing more and more dried brown tips on the brachts. The leaves still look green and healthy, but the brachts are losing color and getting what I believe is leathery. I thought this meant there wasn't enough water or humidity, so I tried to increase humidity and moved it closer to a window for more light.
Did I completely mess this plant up? It was gorgeous and I have no idea what happened! Only thing I can think of is the two day constant rain, made it a little colder and less sunlight? Please help!

BTW the brachts tips look more yellow in the photo (which I guess it might be yellow rather than brown), but some of the very end tips are dry and hard, which is why I thought it was underwater problem rather than over water.

Comments (12)

• splinter1804
    9 years ago

Hi everyone.

haiyoliz - If your plant was in flower when you bought it, there's no way of knowing how long it had already been in flower prior to you getting it.

Given that the green leaves look OK. I would say that it's just a case of the flower dying off after completing it's flowering cycle.

The next thing you should see will be 'offsets' (new growths which are commonly called 'pups') starting to grow from the base of your plant.

These are your future plants which will continue to grow until they mature and eventually flower also.

All the best, Nev.

• haiyoliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for relying so quickly! However, I think this is a young plant. Or at least it should be. It's very small and the other ones being sold were all the same size, none with flowers or dead flowers? I looked up photos and thought they grew taller before being old enough to flower, and had obvious flowers for their one time bloom. I attached a photo of the day I got it, did I overlook its flowers?

Alternatively, if it hasn't flowered, will it still shoot up pups when it gets close to dying? Or will it just die since it's presumably very young?

This post was edited by haiyoliz on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 21:30

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

haiyoliz the pink part on top is your flower.
    Here in Australia, they force flower them to sell in the shops so they don't grow very big. They are a throw away.
    You will get pups around the base of the mum. Either take them off when they are about 1/3 size of mum or let them grow and cut out the mum later. You will have a lovely flowering plant in a couple of years which ever you do and they will probably be much bigger.
    Let your plant dry a little between waterings as this could be causing your problems and add a small amount of fertiliser when the pups appear.

• haiyoliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh okay wow thank you so much! That is a relief to know I didn't just kill it, and also sad that they sell it that way, thought I would get a few years before it flowered! Oh well at least now I can rest easy :)

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Here in Texas the guzmania is a floral plant and sold in bloom. They are kinda dull when not in bloom and our heat is a killer for most all of the guzimania. A few can be grown outdoors in the shade and protected in winter.

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

As sunshine said, they force them to flower. Ive brought a few nice Vrieseas that have flowered way to early so the mother plant is only a 1/3 of the size it should be. Sometimes the pups absorb some of the fertiliser too so it can even stunt the 2nd generation. My Vrieseas are now 3rd generation and alot bigger than the original mother.
    Tim

• haiyoliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for everyone's replies! I have been keeping an eye out for pups and saw three hidden in the outer leaves! They are about half an inch tall. Sunshine suggested adding some fertilizer when they appear. What type would be best so I don't burn the new pups?

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

You can use a high nitrogen liquid fertiliser at 1/4 strength. Are you familiar with NPK ratios? Only put fertiliser around base of plant. Not in the cup or vase of bromeliads.

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

You can foliar feed if you have good light and air circulation. This is the way the growers bring them along so quickly. The leafy plants do fine with foliar feeding. 10% strength.

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

I just use about about a level teaspoon of 3mth fertiliser around the potting mix. Guzmanias are hungry plants. Mum is now slowly going to die so will not effect her.

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

What one do you use sunshine? A new Osmocote seems to come out every month. Im trying to get more pups from my V. fosteriana mother.
    thanks
    Tim

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

I just use an all purpose one that I use on normal pot plants from Bunnings.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting