Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tillandsia capitata

Posted by sdandy (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 22:07

So this capitata was coming into bloom perfectly in time for our show in September...that I was out of town for and didn't get to enter it. But this week I saw some growth that I was expecting to be pups. They look like they are more flower buds. And one has already flowered.

Just coming into bloom a couple of months ago...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is it now with the new flower buds...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The odd thing is my Deuterocohnia longipetala bloomed three flushes this year. Am I doing something odd to all of my plants?!? Ha ha. Has anyone else seen peculiar bloomings like this? Anyone think it could it be a capitata hybrid that's just acting funny with unstable genetics?
-andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tillandsia capitata

Andy, sometimes tills will demonstrate that funky basal flowering. This unexplained occurrence also happens with pups blooming just like a mature plant like this hondurensis x ?. Odd yes but I don't know the reason why either.

Photobucket

o

Thanks Gonz. Have you seen them do multiple flowerings like this though? It surprises me even more that it is doing this bloom 2ish months after the main flowering. Oh well, just another curiosity.
-andy

o

Andy, could your plant have been exposed to some source of ethylene gas, like from a rotting fruit, etc.? I ask because when you use a commercial ethylene producing agent (like Florel or Ethrel) to force a brom into bloom, it will often force all of the pups into bloom too, even if they are no more than small buds of pups.

o

No, not in any way that I can imagine. Although on a semi-related note, after I was grumbling about an olive tree dropping a bunch of olives into a bunch of bromeliads a co-worker recommended Florel or other commercial product to prevent fruiting (its used for olives, sweet gums, and other trees). I kind of chuckled at the thought of a couple of dozen bromeliads underneath and spread throughout the tree all blooming at once.
It just seems odd to me that there is the second round of blooming. But I don't mind as long as I get some pups out of it!
-andy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here