Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

A Question for Chanin

lyndi_whye
15 years ago

Dear Chanin and all experts

I am smitten by this red one show in the picture with you.

Any idea what it might be?

{{gwi:516361}}

{{gwi:516362}}

Comments (20)

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Androlepis skinneri I believe. I'm not sure if there are any other species of that genus.

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

I agree with Mike. It's a definite Androlepis skinneri.

Cheers
    Yong

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Wow! That's impressive! Mine are just colourless pups, hope they eventually grow into such beautiful forms.

{{gwi:516363}}

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

It loves full sun. The red color leaf will show up when it take full sun. Your plants grow under too low light condition. If you change their position to higher light level, their color would be better.

Cheer
    Yong

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

There are also male and female plants of this species. I believe it's the female that has the wider leaves, but both will look best in full sun. Normally it is not a glossy plant, though. The one in Chanin's photo looks like it may have had some leaf-shine applied to it. Gorgeous specimen!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Male plants also grow in a more upright form.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info!

And BTW, what is this plant?
    {{gwi:516364}}

• stephania
    15 years ago

Hi Lyndi & bromies (^_^)"

The last one is Aechmea mulfordii 'Malva'.

Here the male plant that Lisa & HDD mentioned, this plant belongs to
    Mr Phanom's Benchawan Bromeliad Garden in Bangyai THAILAND.
    {{gwi:492208}}

{{gwi:492210}}

The lasting inflorescence with my friend, Gift.
    {{gwi:516366}}

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

Androlepis Skinneri is quite a large plant also mine is currently about 1.2metres wide by .7 metre high.
    {{gwi:516368}}
    Rick

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Rick

That's a nice plant! Thanks for sharing! Just wonder how much light will bring on that beautiful crimson red.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Here in Texas Lyndi is takes 6-7 hours direct sun to get the color

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Here is a pretty nice looking female Androlepsis, but it's not mine! I'm hoping to get a pup some day.

{{gwi:516369}}

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

As Yong, Lisa and HDD said this plant takes a lot of sun. I had mine growing in full western summer sun from 1100 until @1600, It was a real deep red, I have moved it to a slightly filtered position and it has toned down to the pink colour in my photo.

Bromadams, Nice photo that you put up.

Rick

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Somebody told me that he can distinguish between male and female plants of A.skinneri. He told me that female leaf is broader than male and also female has more compact form. He also told me that they both have different flower spike. The male has single spike.

I have male plants with single flower spike and just get a female from my friend. The female doesn't bloom. They both look the same.

Those broad leaf plants Bromadam posted recall me about my friend story. Anybody know what different between male and female plants? I've never seen pictures of female spike. Does anyone have pictures of female flower? Please posted for me.

Cheers
    Yong

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

There are photo's of both on the FCBS site

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi HDD,

I just look into the FCBS site. Both flower spike look different as my friend said and also from of plants but I still not clear about the from. The male and female in the pictures look different that might be grow in a different condition. I just want to know that how can i differentiate male from female plants when not flower. Many thank HDD.
    Cheers
    Yong

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yong,
    I don't think you can tell the sex of A. skinneri without dissecting the floral parts.

See below link - have to do it twice. Drawing of male flower this time.

Cheers,
    Kerry

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:516352}}

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

And here's the link for drawing of the female flower.

K

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:516355}}

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry,

Many thank Kerry for your comment and also lovely seeds of Alcan. extensa. In conclusion,we can differentiate about sex of Andro.skinneri only from flowers. I should wait until both of them bloom.

Regerds
    Yong

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Nice pics showing variation due to different growing conditions, Chanin, Rick, and Bromadams.

You're welcome, Yong. Good luck with the alcantarea seedlings - fingers crossed for you. They grow faster than foliage vriesea seedlings, but not as fast as neoregelia seedlings.

I too have to wait for my next And. skinneri to flower to determine its sex. I have flowered it once, but did not know, at the time, to dissect the flower. Here are some photos of it during the flowering stage. I should have grown it in more light for better effect of leaf colour.

{{gwi:516371}}

{{gwi:443628}}

{{gwi:443630}}

{{gwi:443632}}

Cheers,
    Kerry

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County