Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fern_freak

Whats ur favourite Vriesea?

Fern_Freak
9 years ago

Just wondering what other ppls favourites are. I recently got V. Montezuma Gem and V. Ice Demon which i just love. I still love my Kiwi Sunset, Gulz and Hieroglyphica. Im a foliage fan if u hadnt noticedâº
I'm keeping an eye out for when those V. Pacific Ruby and pacific blush arrive in Oz. What are some favourites of other members?

Comments (6)

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

I like the Hieroglyphica.
    Many of the vriesias are starting to look very similar to each other.

• Fern_Freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes i totally agree. One looks identical to another but being a new release commands 5 times the price. Sunshine, have you ever mounted or seen a Hieroglyphica mounted to a tree? Wondering if they would go ok as an epiphyte. Ive only ever had them in pots.

Cheers
    Tim

• splinter1804
    9 years ago

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with the comment that the new Vrieseas are "starting to look very similar to each other" and "One looks identical to another".

I think you need to visit the BCR and explore what various breeders are now turning out; there are colours and patterns never seen before. As examples of just two breeders, Jack Koning from N.S.W. and Peter Coyle from N.Z, check up some of their newer hybrids and they are only two examples of many breeders who are doing great things at present.

There are some great new hybrids being registered, but unfortunately the local markets are being flooded with the colourless "culls" and this is what people tend to judge the whole genus against.

The comment about new release commanding a much higher price is true about any plant, whether they be Neo's, Vrieseas, Bill's or anything else. It's simply a matter of "supply and demand", the definition of which is: "the amount of a commodity, product, or service available and the desire of buyers for it, considered as factors regulating its price".

Re. the question about mounting Vr. hieroglyphica on a tree, the answer is yes they will grow quite happily mounted on a tree, I have a friend who has two large ones which he mounted as pups a few years ago. This is how they grow in habitat and if you go to the site below you will find some pictures of them growing happily in this way.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vriesea+hieroglyphica+in+habitat+images&peek=function()"return this[this.length-1]>

All the best, Nev.

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

Hi Tim I have only grown them in pots. I have a couple flowering at the moment so when I have a spare pup I will try it in a tree.

There are some great new hybrids being registered, but unfortunately the local markets are being flooded with the colourless "culls" and this is what people tend to judge the whole genus against.

Thats the thing Nev, what we are being offered on sale tables are starting to look alike.

• Fern_Freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all, great valid points all round. I should correct myself. There are amazing hybrids coming out but some look very similar to the next one. I've had the privilege and meet Jack Koning twice and he truly is remarkable. I asked him 100 questions and he was more than happy to answer all. I totally understand the price of new releases as alot of effort goes into making it all happen for us brom freaks. I only just got my first galaxy hehe.
    I also look at my new V. Ice Demon (thank you Jan and John TownsendðÂÂÂ) and am amazed and grateful for the people that hybridized these amazing plants.
    Thanks sunshine and Nev, i have just potted up 2 bare rooted Hieroglyphicas
    about 1 month ago so i might give them ago. I have a Cheese Tree (massive) that they would look awesome in. How would i feed them? Could i use a weak nitrosol solution? Sorry for all these questions. Only been on here a week and am blown away with all the knowledge and adviceâº

Cheers
    Tim
    ps, what your favourite Vriesea Nev?

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

I don't feed any broms in trees. I figure they get enough from nature as they grow well.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures
More Discussions