Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_phil

Dyckia fosteriana

brom_phil
15 years ago

hi every one does any one know how rare Dyckia fosteriana is i australia just before i go and buy some. thanks.

Comments (7)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I dont think its rare any where

• brom_phil
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok thanks hdd, ill wait untill some people from australia comment before i totly say no

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Very common here in Qld, Australia. I have heaps. Does well in all kinds of weather, frost, wind, high temps, drought.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Phil, Dyckia fosteriana is one of the more commonly-available dyckia species in Australia. However, the dyckia genus overall is favoured by a minority of bromeliad collectors in the eastern states - and therefore could be considered rare in collections.
    A large collection of dyckia species and hybrids owned, and many bred, by Bob Paulson of Brisbane, has been split and sold recently due to Bob's ill health. I've noticed many dyckia hybrid seeds now offered on Aussie eBay. These might be from Bob's collection.

If you do buy some dyckias, plant them in a deeper pot than usual for bromeliads, as they have an extensive root system - or in well-drained soil directly in the garden, or rockery. They grow best in a terrestrial mix - either a rich potting mix or one suitable for succulents. They like plenty of moisture in the warmer months, and dryer in the cool months. Half to full day sun and regular fertilising keeps them happy and thriving.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers,
    K

• brom_phil
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks kerry that helped heaps i am ringing up some brom nurserys today and see if i can get a job there. may be a bad idea might not have much pay left after the week. oh well
    Phill

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Dyckia fosteriana? Yes it is rare!Here there and everywhere! Dyckia with the name Dyckia fosteriana may be far too common. Dyckia fosteriana was one of the first to cross the Atlantic( It is native to Paraná some 250km away from my home.) The longer a Dyckias stays out the stranger it turns to be. The true Dyckia fosteriana forms, there are four, may be extremely rare outside Brazil. People recognize as fosteriana something that ressembles the fosteriana. But I found all of then true or not beautiful plants. Dyckia fosteriana form clumps and are very, very beautiful plants. The variety from Sengés in Partaná is the most gorgeous one.
    Also we have to have in mind that Dyckias in all forms ans species are prohibited by law to left Brazil. There is no and none licenced guy or company to get Dyckias out of Brazil! They are all smuggled and this evolves money and mysterious ways. It is not rare to see a zebra being called the lion. Some Dyckias are so protecte there are Federal laws naming them. If one is caught with a Dyckia plant in a port or airport this one will be arrested with no mercy with no right for bailing out the prision. It is a very serious matter. Some Dyckias populations are so restricted and endemic that if one take one single plant half the native population may be destroyed forever!!! We have to consider man made Dyckia hybrids a very good plant and a way to save Dyckias in nature. Hybrids are great! They promptly adequate to the cultivation. a wild dyckia may take ages to respond positively to any kind and sort of cultivation. Inescrupulous guys are very well known here. Smoe are taken like Gods outside. Why? because they have the rare speciesto go out for money.... It happened before with cacti here and before that with Orchids. I have paer, a copy sent to me from England of a German cacti seacher. The guy took everything out of the country and says clearly that brazilian show the spots for cati for just a few coins. Thre si an entire gender of Cacti in his name! Rare and speciel cacti from Minas Gerais. He asks in a poit of his report: where is the species I saw here before? Where? I know the answer for his question: in Germany! Probably in his own care. History repeats itself. I think Dyckias are great and the big Public gardens around the word shoul take better care and also preserve the true species an d have them for the commom mortals as us. Hybrids are great!!!If your plant is a True fosteriana or has nothing to it doesn´t matter at all. It is beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia Brazil

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

You may see some of the Dyckia fosteriana in this link here.
    Then you take a look again on your fosteriana plant. Up to now we have four or maybe five known forms of Dyckia fosteriana in Brazilian wilderness theur native place. In spite of extremely beautiful a turkey is not a peacock. It is impossible to determine which species one Dyckia might be just by pictures. There are exceptions of course. We may have just clues and those may foolish us easely. Dyckias are the hardiest Bromeliad to classify and taxonomists commited many mistakes and historical errors. Now it is a matter of wisdon to cultivate for years and observe in nature for longer a Dyckia before labeling it. But the fosteriana presented in most of the occasions in the net barely ressembles the true form.
    So the answer for the quetion is : Yes, Dyckia fosteriana is rare , here , there and everywhere.
    Dyckia hybridises easyly and inter species or bispecies is more than a commum place among cultivators. Half breed, a quarter breed are also extemely hard to find left alone pure strain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia Brazil

Sponsored
More Discussions