Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sports

Posted by neomea Durban (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 3:31

Hi all

Well its not often that I can say that I have a sport, but cruising around the garden this weekend I found two!!

First on is from a compacta clump that I have growing on a Strelitzia.

Photobucket

Side view

Photobucket

Next is a Billbergia Louise (I think, tag is gone)

This one has gone variegated. Do you think it will make it?

Photobucket

Cheers for now

Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sports

I hate to rain on your parade, Dennis, but those both look fairly normal to me. I see the occasional compacta pup come out like that, particularly if it's been subjected to some sort of stress. They generally outgrow the dark streaks as they mature, but if yours remains stable over several generations, then you might have something.

As for Louise, it is a variegated plant. It's also quite unstable, as I found out when I bought both that and Perriam's Pride, thinking they were two different cvs, only to have them both switch back and forth and show both types of variegation on the same plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill. Louise

o

Gee thanks Lisa! You win some....you lose some....I will keep an eye on the compacta and see if anything come of it!

o

Dennis, I have a compacta that is the pup of a mother that was roughed up by a falling royal palm frond and both mother and pup developed odd marks that are still showing on new leaves of the pup one year later. However, I doubt that the next generation will continue this trend but if it does the obvious name would be Impacta.

o

Hehehe good one!

o

Here is a pic of 'Impacta'. It took me a while to find it. I stuck it in the boot of a palm where I never see it.

o

Uh oh, that looks more like a viral infection than impact bruises, Nick. It most likely WILL pass on to future generations if you don't throw it out.

o

I fear that Lisa is right with her diagnosis there Nick ,it wont only pass it on to its future generations ,but all it gets in contact with as well.Me ? i would incinerate it , Do NOT compost it as that will not kill most plant viruses ,

o

You may be right, but I remember quite well that the markings showed up immediately after impact. Maybe the open wounds allowed the virus access or weakened the plant and made it more vulnerable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here