Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hallelujah - all a glow

Posted by brom-nutter (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 3:33

Billbergia Hallelujah catching the sun this afternoon.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hallelujah - all a glow

I have alot of bill's starting to bloom here too

o

Lovely! I have a few of these. They all have very nice 'plumage' but no pups or blooms. They get filtered light, about 3000 foot candles.
Can you offer advice on getting blooms?

Thanx

o

Very bright indirect light all day. Most of these bloom in late winter for me.

o

Hi everyone,

Nice plants "Brom-Nutter"; yes it's an "oldie" but a "goodie". Bred in 1988 by Don Beadle it's still an all time favourite with bromeliad growers and is still capable of winning show prizes when well grown.

I was told by a prominant brom grower here in Australia to hang it about 18" below your shade cloth (preferably 75% Beige colour) for the best colour. I've done this and the improvement in colour is truly amazing. He said that colour can be improved in any Billbergia by applying Potash a couple of times (at the recommended strength) a couple of months prior to the usual flowering time.

He also recommended using potash to bring back the colour in plants which had lost their colour due to being fed with a high nitrogen fertilizer. I've tried this and know it works also.

All the best, Nev.

o

For non-terrestrials, what is a good source of liquid potash?

o

Hi everyone,

Houstonpat, I just use a granular type and sprinkle about 1 teaspoonful around the top of the mix in a 5" pot. I then cover it with a bit of mix so it doesn't get washed out when watering.

I've also been told there is a better liquid form which is much purer and used by hydroponic gardeners and available in hydroponic supply stores.

All the best, Nev.

o

AGgrand makes a liquid. Should be a supplier in your area Pat

o

Thanks y'all. I got the granular. It's supposed to be water soluable so I'll try a diluted both ways.

o

Hi everyone,

Hallelujah also looks good if allowed to clump up.

Photobucket

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here