Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Landscaping my friend's xeric garden

stephania
15 years ago

I had never done this before, until my friend 'Gift' asked me to create 'Xeric Garden'

for his new house.

Because we are interested in xeric broms, so I selected some of my spiny broms

to decorate the garden. These are what we had done.

Cacti, succulents and some xeric broms were selected from my collection.

{{gwi:517698}}

Gift was waiting for me, with worried face, at his new house's front yard.

{{gwi:517700}}

The workers were preparing the area.

{{gwi:517703}}

At the bottom we lined with layers of a foot hight of gravel, plastic net and pumice for good dranage.

{{gwi:446862}}

{{gwi:517705}}

Another team was making the soil mix which composed of

3 parts pumice, 2 parts perite and 1 part garden soil.

{{gwi:517706}}

We started planting with a nice variegated Yucca first.

{{gwi:517707}}

Then Golden Barrel cactus...

{{gwi:517708}}

{{gwi:517709}}

{{gwi:517710}}

Don't laugh at me (^_^)"

{{gwi:517711}}

The tall plants, such as Pachypodium, Alluaudia and Didierea from Madagascar

were located at the brackdrop.

{{gwi:517712}}

{{gwi:517713}}

{{gwi:517714}}

{{gwi:517716}}

{{gwi:517717}}

Columnar cacti were planted at the back.

{{gwi:517719}}

{{gwi:517720}}

This huge specimen of Euphorbia stenoclada could be the garden landmark.

{{gwi:517721}}

Then two nice specimens from my house, Yucca rostrata and xDyckcohnia 'Bone Mahogany'

that I thought I should give to my friend for better growth, instead of sitting in container.

{{gwi:517722}}

{{gwi:446863}}

{{gwi:446864}}

{{gwi:517724}}

Dyckia 'Keswick' and Orthophytum saxicola were decorated as ground cover.

{{gwi:517726}}

{{gwi:517728}}

A big clump of my Deuterocohnia lorentziana was also found the place.

{{gwi:517730}}

{{gwi:517732}}

Also some nice varieties of Agave and Aloe were planted.

{{gwi:517734}}

{{gwi:517736}}

Alcantarea imperialis and its relatives were also used in this garden.

{{gwi:517738}}

{{gwi:517739}}

{{gwi:517740}}

{{gwi:517741}}

On the top of the litter cover, I place some pots of xeric broms for better looking.

{{gwi:517742}}

The colourful Aechmea blanchetiana and Androlipis skinneri

seem to get along well with Madagascan spiny plant, Decarya madagascariensis.

{{gwi:517743}}

{{gwi:516443}}

On Dec,6th it's Gift's Birthday, so he enjoyed with this amazing xeric garden

as special present from me.

{{gwi:517744}}

{{gwi:517746}}

With lighting.

{{gwi:517747}}

{{gwi:517749}}

{{gwi:517751}}

Comments (37)

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Chanin

Simply stunning! The wavy planter is very interesting. Love the Euphorbia stenoclada and the colourful aloes. Gift is so lucky to have you as his landscaper. This must be one of the best birthday gifts he ever received.

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Chanin,

What a great job you did, by the way did I tell you I have a birthday coming up :)

Cheers,

Rick

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice Chanin! I specially love that Alluaudia with it's wavey arms - to me it is such a graceful plant. I struggle to keep one alive through our cold, wet Winters! I also like the 'wavey' planter! Is the front section filled with gravel going to be kept as a path?

I am sure Gift is looking forward to his next birthday when you are going to do the other section of his garden! Or will that be the Christmas gift to Gift?!!
    Well done and thanks for showing!

Japie

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Excellent job, Chanin! xDyckcohnia 'Bone Mahogany' is gorgeous, and is that Aloe dorotheae with the orange leaves? I love that one, and the way it picks up the color of the Ae. blanchetiana. The tall Alluaudia and Pachypodium are very nice too.

My only question is about the Alcantareas. Are you sure they will do well in a xeroscape?

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Chanin - You have achieved a very professional result. I especially like the lighting and the fairyland effect it creates. All the best, Nev.

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Incredible! Did you guys end up planting the dwarf old man or keep him in a pot?

I had the same question about the Alc. as Lisa. If it doesn't work out I'm sure you have another nice fat spiney brom that would look great.

• jaga
    15 years ago

Fantastic Chanin. Love the structure plants - the tall ones & the yuccas. Can't wait to see what you'll do in your own place.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

A beautifully sculptured garden, Chanin! Pure art - fantastic!

I imagine Gift is over the moon?

Thanks for the show.

BTW - were the workers paid extra 'danger money' for handling all those spineys?

K

• catkim
    15 years ago

Very impressive from start to finish. The lighting is the final, perfect touch!

I enjoyed the workers colorful hats, scarves, and gloves as well!

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(^_^)" Thanks everyone, Gift must be proud that you guys love his garden.

Actaully, we cross the fists with each other, my friend must create a Tropical Garden
    for my new house when it finish in next few months.
    In fact, I would love a xeric one, but there is no sun enough in my new house.

For Alcantareas question, yes I'm pretty sure they do thrive
    as we had test their sun tolerant for awhile.

Mike, we keep that dwarf old man palm in the pot, but plant another variety
    which has longer leaf-stalk (Coccothrinax crinita v. brevicrinis)
    in the right corner of the garden behind Alcantarea.
    {{gwi:517753}}

He He He...Yep this tool help us not have to pay the extra "Danger Money"
    {{gwi:517755}}

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

I just sat here at my computer oooohhhhing and awwwwwwwing at everything I saw. You folks simply blow me away with all your plants and how you arrange them & group them to show all the colors, textures, and heights.

All I can say is amazing!!!!!
    Great work and a beautiful sight to behold.

I was wondering if I could get a GIFT for myself????LOL Then I wouldn't have to do all the gardening around here by myself. (big Grin)

Happy Gardening, Marian

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

@(^_^)@ Thanks Marian

{{gwi:517757}}

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Stephania,I have a OT question. Have you ever grown Amorphophallus titanum?. Here,whenever they bloom it makes the front page of the newspapers.It's native to your climate-Borneo. I have never seen a post of them grown in a tropical garden like in Asia or Hawaii.
    Those 100 pound tubers must be massive in real Mother Earth. I can't imagine a more fantastic garden plant.

15 years ago

I noticed Oxalis in one of the pots of Barrel cacti. Is nobody exempted from the (true) "Evil Weed"?..lol.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I like the purple evil weed....and gee thanks Chanin..I cant find that darn orange aloe any where

• inang
    15 years ago

Very nice!

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Stanofh, I have but couldn't keep it for long, rotting :(
    Some aroid lovers here have kept a few of them which were imported
    as small seedling.

At Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden, they can grow this amazing aroid
    to blooming size and use to be on the first page of our newspaper two times.

There are 50-60 species of Amor. native here, some of them are very interesting.

Amor. maxwellii found in the deep jungle, west of Thailand.
    {{gwi:517759}}

This is an unknown "Black trunk" that I found in the north of my country.
    {{gwi:517761}}

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Chanin!

Very nice job and I am sure that Gift is flippin excited and extra happy about his new garden...Do I see some South African Aloes there?

I also like Amorphs! I havent seen that black stemmed type before....lovely!

Dennis

15 years ago

Thats very interesting Chanin,really adds to their mystique of being difficult to grow even in the tropics "in captivity"..That black stemmed is a beauty. Great find.

• stone_jaguar
    15 years ago

Chanin:

I echo everyone else's comments here on a stunning landscape job. Since I grow most of these very same plants outside here in Guatemala I had to smile at the familiarity of the components and composition. You guys really did an amazing job with that garden. Your friend must be feeling pretty pleased with the end result.

I suppose that after seeing enough of your posts nothing one sees out of Thailand anymore should be surprising, but I will admit that the specimen-sized Didierea madagascariensis was very surprising!! Did you gow that or is from another source? I have found seedlings to be pretty fast under greenhouse conditions, but still...

Best regards,

J

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dennis, yes we have some tree Aloe such as A. ferox, A.bainesii
    but I think A.dichotoma will not tolerate our rain.
    Yesterday we added some more small species, A.striata, A.imalotensis
    and for the Broms topic, I also put some different varieties of Orthophytum saxicola.

Stanofh, I think the trick is you have to sterile the soil mix,
    Amor. tritanum prone to rot with Phytoptera fungi, I didn't.

Thanks J, you guys will suprise if you know how we get those Madagascan spinies.

Those plants belonged to a collector, he has kept his plants on the upper deck
    for decades. It was not too difficult to buy them, but to move them down ! here....

{{gwi:517763}}

{{gwi:517765}}

{{gwi:517766}}

{{gwi:517767}}

{{gwi:517769}}

{{gwi:517771}}

{{gwi:517773}}

{{gwi:517775}}

{{gwi:517777}}

{{gwi:517780}}

{{gwi:517784}}

{{gwi:517787}}

{{gwi:517789}}

{{gwi:517792}}

{{gwi:517795}}

{{gwi:517798}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

OMG, what an operation that was! I certainly hope Gift appreciated the amount of effort you all put in! See if you can get him to smile for the camera. ;-)

What is the name of the shrubby plant with the cascading zig-zag stems between the Androlepis and the Aechmea? Some kind of Adenia or Fockia perhaps? Very nice texture.

• stone_jaguar
    15 years ago

Chanin:

Ever more astounding! What a Herculean enterprise to get those things to your friend's property in perfect shape. I also grow most of my spines on a large open terrace, but fortunately it overlooks my garden and parking areas one story below, rather than a public street.

In my experience here, several Alluaudia spp can easily be grown to that size in pots from 30 cm rooted cuts in several years, but the flawless Didierea and Decaryia specimens are a very different deal. It is, however, good to know that Didierea can handle your heavy rains, since I have not trialed them yet outside here. Many people in the 'States will find the "tropicalized" Echinocactus specimens surprising, but I find that both golden barrels and Ferocactus glaucescens do very well exposed to heavy summer rains when potted in very free-draining media.

The Dyckia 'Keswick' is also very handsome! You guys certainly have quite a seasoned and gifted group of growers there.

BRgds,

J

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa, that's Decarya madagascariensis a monotypic species in Didiereaceae.

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi J, years ago I visited to the south of Madagascar and I found Didiereas
    growing by the ocean, they seem to be thrive in our rainy season too.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Wow! Congratulations Chanin and Co. - it seems you have overcome "mission impossible" to relocate those established spineys with great foresight, team work, and ingenuity. I am very impressed!

Long may Gift enjoy his xeric paradise :)

Cheers,
    Kerry

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Chanin - You never cease to amaze. You always seem to have a camera around and we reap the benefits!

Tell Gift he should pop in here and say hi sometime, considering everybody's seen his garden and all!

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    7 years ago

Wow, now that is a job well done. Such a great layout for the number of plants you have. So very impressive! A true carefree yard.

I probably missed it. Where were these photos taken? Zone 10?

Thank you so very much for sharing your photos with us.

7 years ago

I think it was zone 13 Thailand.

So much time has gone by since this post...seemed like yesterday. In that climate they must be harvesting armfuls of cuttings by now.

7 years ago

Just think... in Thailand, I bet there were any number of directions his landscaping could have gone. I hope he posts pictures a year from now. Once those plants get settled into their new home, they'll take off. It will be such a lush garden top than many of us can't fathom.

Way to go!

7 years ago

The original post was 8 years ago.

7 years ago

OMG, can we see new photos? Oh my, I suspect they've forgotten that they made this posting. Oh well. Aren't we fortunate to have seen the photos that he took at the time. Thanks Stanofh to let me know.

• splinter1804
    7 years ago

Hi everyone.

Xtal – Wow what a big disappointment I’ve just had. I had thought Chanin was back posting on this forum once again until I read the date on the post and see that it was an old post resurrected from Dec. 2008;………how time flies it seems like only yesterday we were reading his posts and admiring his pictures; certainly the good old days.

In case you don’t know spephania (Chanin Thurot ), he was from Thailand and a regular on these forums right up until the breakaway group formed the new South African forum and like many of the old regulars he never seemed to post much more after that. By the way, that’s him (back left) in picture 4.

His main interest was Xeric plants which included his wonderful collection of Dyckias and Hecktias many he hybridised himself and grew from seed. It didn’t stop there however as he also hybridised Cryptanthus and who can forget the wonderful Cryptanthus ‘Lisa Vinzant’ which he bred and named after Lisa Vinzant, another regular on these forums in those days. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=CRYPTANTHUS&id=1776#1776

He was interested in all things from nature and he also had a great interest in tropical fish and all of his hobbies were regularly shared with us though his wonderful photography and I’m sure you could still find many on the archived threads interesting as unlike many, he didn’t remove his pictures once they had been posted.

I very much doubt if he is reading these threads after all this time, but if you are Chanin, please come back and join us, we’d love to see you posting again.

All the best, Nev.

• bradisha
    7 years ago

Enjoying the memories of the good old days :)

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We should keep posting until 2008 returns!. He's not the only one who went from a regular to never posts at all.

You never know - a new generation is just forming that will fire up all the boards again

7 years ago

Very beautiful Nev. As good as any start for a revival.

Sponsored
More Discussions