Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Shots of my backyard

vriesea
14 years ago

Hi everyone ,as its been popular to show shots of our yards ,i thought i would post some ,bear in mind i dont do landscaping etc ,and at the moment its at its worst as i am having a huge repotting / dividing / rearranging program so stuff is every where ,but i trust you will enjoy a little tour in my yard ,so here goes

{{gwi:518003}}

{{gwi:518006}}

{{gwi:518008}}

{{gwi:518011}}

{{gwi:518014}}

{{gwi:518016}}

{{gwi:518018}}

These are some Neo hybrids i did from crossing Neo 'One and Only' with Neo 'Predator' no i did not expect to get variegates ,i wanted the good pupping habit from 'Predator' and the nice plant shape from the 'Royal Burgundy' in its background and the red colour from the 'One and Only' got most of that ,had a lot of them but gave most away ,this is typical of the cross .

{{gwi:518021}}

{{gwi:518023}}

Well there you have it , it could be better but as i said am doing a lot of stuff and little time to do it in , Cheers, Jack

Comments (7)

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

My backyard could look like that anytime LOL
    I like your cross.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Jack,

Your yard is looking good, nice to see a few neos mixed in with your collection.

I reckon you could make a nice cross or two with that flowering DeRolf.

Cheers,

Rick

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

What a great collection you have, you have so many plants there Jack, I reckon cutting the grass would now be a mammoth task, so you really must retire; and besides, it'll give you plenty of time to spend with your babies.

What are the Neo's in the second pic with the hangers on the pots?

I notice the Vriesea mother plant in the third shot has all the leaves trimmed, is this to give the pups a better chance to spread out, or for some other reason?

I really like your 'One and Only' x 'Predator' seedlings, are any of them registered, and are you still breeding with Neo's?

So sorry about all the questions, but thanks for sharing your yard with us, it's much appreciated and real good on the eyes.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,the Neo's in hanging pots are Neo ,' Break of Day 'and the Vriesea was trimmed as that is the third lot of pups and she wont give more and it lets the pups grow a bit more tidy ,Cutting the grass will be easier once i straighten the whole lot out as most wont be sitting there anymore ,( but i dont give two nobs of goats poo if i never mow grass ,hate the stuff ! ) the Neo hybrids ? yes i registerd a couple out that cross and Richard registerd one ' Wild Rasberry ' i had ' Wild Peach ' and ' Wild Currant' and ' Wild Strawberry ' one more i think , I was very happy with them all round ,most had very shiny leaves . I have a few other crosses but very small yet ,I could easely get into the Zonata type of breeding ,so may have to have a go at that ,trouble is i am at work through the day and thats when they flower ,but have to get a couple of parent plants first,and where to put them ? I can't accomadate the Vriesea seedlings now ,you may be right about giving up work ,but to young at 66 to do that i feel .Cheers .Jack

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

Jack, on the plus side, if you bought all those parent plants and place them all over to cover the ground I am sure they will cease grass growth :-). Well, on the down side, you might need to put them tight enough though..

Nice garden. Are those evenly stripped Vrieseas on the front of Pic #4 and #5 your MontezumaÂs Gems or else? All are really lovely.

I am not much into variegated Neos but De Rolf is a fav of mine. It is high up on my wish list. The 'One and Only' and 'Predator' cross worked out pretty well. They are all nice.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Noid ,the striped Vrieseas you mention are out of the cross that gave 'Montezuma's Gem ' but they are a pair of different clones with different colour,' Montezuma's Gem is green and blackish marked wich is the plant in the background of # 4 and these 2 plants have a more pronounced fingernail on the tips of the leaves, out of the cross there where only 4 that where different ,the other 31 where identical ,but thats what Hieroglyphica does , Jack

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

cheers jack

Great pics and beautiful broms! I hope the repotting / dividing / rearranging program is going well - good opportunity to get up close with the plants and say hello!

thanks for sharing
    Kristan

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions