Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill scale on Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides)?

Posted by treeguy123 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 4:39

I got some Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides) and I later realized it was infested with Spanish Moss Orthezid (Orthezia tillandsiae) which is a soft body scale bug pest.

How do you kill it without harming the Spanish Moss?
There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of smaller ones (probably eggs also) in the large clump of Spanish Moss.

Here is a picture of it:

Another image (not mine):

Aay help would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill scale on Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides)?

treeguy,

You could try Rob Smythe's Canola Oil recipee below:

I have used it with great success to kill fly speck scale on Neos, Aechmeas and Billbergias - I would do a test run on a little piece of your spanish moss first though.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS Canola White Oil

o

Thanks, I'll look at that site.
I also found a page that tells how to kill scale insect pests of Bromeliads:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/frank/bromeliadbiota/scalecontrol.htm
The site saids:
"it appears that most Tillandsia can support small populations of Orthezia tillandsiae without too much of an effect on the host plant."
But mine looks like a large population. So I might just keep this clump in a garbage bag (and selectively pull out thin strings of it to place on a tree after checking it first each time) and if I ever buy an insecticide etc. to kill all the scales, I'll do that. (I would hate for it to spread to any other non-infested clumps of it nearby.)

o

Unless SM is hard for you to get I'd simply bag it and throw it away. Start fresh with new plants. The same goes for T. recurvata.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here