Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

Latest Import from Michael's

lyndi_whye
15 years ago

My gardening friends and I ordered a batch of 60 plants from Michael's, our order arrived last week.

{{gwi:518105}}

{{gwi:518110}}

Neo. Red Tiger

{{gwi:518112}}

Vr. Purple Haze

{{gwi:518113}}

Neo. Raphael

{{gwi:518115}}

Neo. Cranberry X Lila

{{gwi:518119}}

Neo. Blackout

{{gwi:518121}}

Neo. Jaline

{{gwi:518123}}

Neo. Pink on Black

{{gwi:518125}}

Comments (32)

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

Nice haul of plants, I think Neo. Red Tiger should be Neo. Blushing Tiger one of Lisa's crosses.

Cheers,

Rick

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Lovely score Lyndi...Neo Jaline would be my pick. It looks very interesting. Do you/anyone know its breeding?

Shane-the-Bromaholic

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice Lyndi!! Just remember, your Vriesea is a Purple Haze Hybrid - not the same as Vr Purple Haze. Check the link below.

Rick, the name is actually Groves Red Tiger and is not the same as Lisa's Blushing Tiger

Shane, Jaline is an albomarginated form of cruenta. Very beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vr Purple Haze

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

What a stunning group of pups!! I'm sooo jealous :-s

I've been trying to view their website for some cyber brom-eye-candy, but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone know what's up?

Cheers, Todd

• jaga
    15 years ago

Lyndi,
    Congrats on a stunning haul. Love the red tiger & black out! Be interested to see how the vriesea goes in Singapore.

Cheers
    J & A

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Todd see if this will get you on the site

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael's

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your terrific haul with us, Lyndi. Very nice!

They have great colour considering the distance they have traveled in a dark box. How much time between being posted and you receiving them?

Japie showed us a great peg-trick to improve that squashed look, post unpacking. See link.

Cheers,
    Kerry

Here is a link that might be useful: Japie's washing-peg trick

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

Hi HDD,
    Thanks for that, but there seems to be an errant router stuffing it up. Have checked with others in NZ, and my Brother in Melbourne and none of us can access it. (Worked a few months ago). I've traced which router it is, but have no way of fixing it. Hopefully they'll rebuild the records soon. Until then I'll be content to check out the great pics posted here :-)

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Japie,

Thanks for the ID correction, I haven't had a very good run of Plant IDs this year.

Rick

• kxs106
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

Very nice plants. 'Red Tiger' and 'Pink on Black' are gorgeous.

I just got my Red Tiger from Michael also, it's really nice neo.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Everyone

I must agree that Michael sent us some big and nice plants in this batch. And we have Japie to thank for recommending us certain plants. You can tell we are badly addicted as we just ordered 50 plants in Sept. Normally the plants will open up nicely after standing in water for a day, most are already out in partial shade.

It takes between 5 to 6 days to get here. A few plants like Magali and Cranberry X Lila don't ship well due to heat damage being in the box so so many days. The tips started to dry up.

I have problem getting into Michael's website since beginning of Nov 08, still no access. The worse part is we couldn't not communicate via my usual email address in the midst of this order.

Japie, thanks for reminding me about the Purple Haze hyb, it's going to my friend in Brunei. I only have 8 plants in this lot, mostly repeat order like Neo. Donna, Neo Voodoo Doll, Neo. LP X Car. Tiger.

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

great steal wish i could buy a collect all at once like that
    any one know a place like Michael's in australia preferably in nsw
    Phil

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Phil - Bromnutter Richard has a great collection, and is the closest to you. Do you still have his phone number I sent you?
    I'll also send you Peter Tristram's Forest Drive current plant list - he is at Repton, near Coffs Harbour.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I'm surprised he has any Groves' Red Tiger left! I think everybody on this forum must have ordered one by now (including me). Super plant, although it's reportedly a mule.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

I wish, Lisa!...not everyone on this forum.
    Spare a thought for us Aussies and Kiwis - our quarantine restrictions are too tight, damaging, lengthy and expensive for the individual collector, or even a small group of private collectors.

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I am surprised that Shane or Olive dont have the plant

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

They probably do have it, HDD - but Shane and Olive are not participators on this forum. By the time they have built up enough stock to start selling, they will initially be offered to the rich and/or famous.
    I suspect I'll be a lot longer in the tooth before I finally own one, unless I rob a bank.

K

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Kerry, it's not impossible, it just involves a certain amount of silly game playing. I'm not going to discuss the details here, but you can email me if you really want to know... ;-)

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few more from the last 2 imports.

Aechmea Pectinata
    {{gwi:518127}}

Aechmea Pineliana
    {{gwi:518130}}

Neo. LP X Car. Tiger
    {{gwi:518133}}

Neo. Donna
    {{gwi:518137}}

Neo. Caviar
    {{gwi:518138}}

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I picked up a good sized Groves Red Tiger on Sunday for free. I guess not being so impressed by it made it easier to get. And now I hear it's a mule, so that makes it even less desirable. Isn't the pollen even viable?

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I'm just passing along what I've heard, Nick. I haven't bloomed it yet myself, but I will certainly check out the pollen when I do.

How did you manage to get one for free? Are you sure it was the good clone and not one of the siblings?

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Lyndi, your LP x carcharodon Tiger looks much nicer - more orange - than mine!

Japie

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Japie

Sorry for being misleading, I think it's due to the setting of my camera.

This picture is taken in normal setting
    {{gwi:518140}}

and this is the 1st plant
    {{gwi:477284}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Lyndi the plant will get the color of the first photo. LP x carcharodon Tiger needs alot of light to color but any clone from the grex gets the color on top the leaves. The bands on the underside of the leaves is what I would like to see. (Waiting for mine to make pups)
    Groves Red Tiger has been around many years here and a common plant for us. A very bad clone of is was just registered by someone else last year which kinda forced the hybridizer to show and sell the good clone LOL

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I don't see anything else in either the registry or the photo index with Ornato and Tiger as parents, HDD. There's one that is odorata x Tiger, is that what you're referring to? Or are we talking about the off clone of HL x Foster's Pink Tips? I'm still waiting for a name for the best clone of that cross, it certainly deserves one.

While poking around in there I also came across a hybrid that claims to have GRT as a pollen parent, although there is nothing in the outward appearance of the plant to verify that. Maybe yes, maybe no.......

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Im not sure what the question is Lisa...call me confused for now LOL

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

"A very bad clone of is was just registered by someone else last year"

Just trying to figure out what plant you are referring to. I'm confused too!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Look at the registration of Grove's Red Tiger

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Here is my free GRT. I "won" it playing Ken Marks' infamous bromeliad bingo at our society holiday party. I hope it will look better after it gets some sun.

{{gwi:518142}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bromadams that looks more like Groves Medusa

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

So you're saying there are two clones with the same name, HDD? GRT #1 & GRT #2? Okay, I get it.

My plant is more dark brown than red, but I figure that's because it was heavily fed before I got it. It's not as green as Nick's plant, but otherwise they look about the same. I think it's just growing conditions.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

There are many clones...only one was the selected clone that Grant was selling,,,,,and Medusa looks alot like the tiger with color differences and I suspect it has a common parent

Sponsored
More Discussions