Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alcantarea grass pups

Posted by rickta66 Brisbane Australia (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 4:53

Gidday all,

I attended a really informative talk on growing Alcantareas by one of the local Alcantarea growers and I thought I would share some of the points presented on promoting grass pups.

1. To encourage grass pups - plant your Alcantarea high in the mix using skewers to support the plant.

2. Fertilise regularly using a combination of slow release fertilizer and liquid fertilizer.

3. A good Alcantarea seedling mix is one part perlite to four parts coir (coconut) peat.

I purchased some 15month old seedlings to practice with:
alcantarea

The plants that have been planted high in the mix have definately produced more grass pups - I have taken nine or so off the Edmundoi (don't use ice cream sticks as markers):
grass pups

Alc.Brasiliana grass pups:
brasiliana

Cheers,

Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alcantarea grass pups

thanks rick thanks for the info now i know how to look after the ones i brought. one question though why do they call them grass pups.
Phil

o

Yep it works all right...sounds like advice from the wonderful Bruce Dunstan of Stockard Nursery?

o

Phil,

I think they are called grass pups because they look like some type of grass seedling.

Richard,

Yes - it was a Bruce Dunstan presentation, I was reluctant to credit him because my recollection of it would not have done him justice.

Rick

o

Hi Rick - Thanks for the very interesting information you're kind enough to pass on to us.

Not having had any experience taking grass pups off a mother plant, I would have thought they would need to be much bigger before separation because they look so tiny and spindly at that stage and as the name suggests, they just look like "grass".

Do the same techniques apply to other plants which throw grass pups such as vrieseas? I have grass pups on a Vr. Ospinae and I was going to wait until they were about 4-5 inches high before I removed them or should I be removing them now at their present stage (about 2" high)?

o

• Posted by rickta66 Brisbane Australia (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 19:05

Nev,

The lady who sold me the Alcantareas said that the pups would be fine to take off when I did, they were probably around 25-30mm high. I have been misting them everyday for the last month or so and have not lost them yet.

Jaga suggested in another post to take them off around 50mm high, I think their survival rate depends a lot on your climate - it is nice and hot and humid here at the moment.

I have not had anything to do with Vriesea grass pups but I remember being told that they could be treated like Alcantarea grass pups once.

Rick

o

Good info there Rick...thanks. I've found that Alc's grown from grass pups tend to be quite prolific at producing their own grass pups, however, the production of grass pups typically slows down as the plants mature...so it's always good to keep a few going, espec Alc. imperialis Rubra as they do not produce 'normal' pups after flowering.

Nev, I have grown on a number of Vriesea grass pups...many Vriesea grown from seed produce grass pups that can be removed & treated just like Rick describes above. I tracked down an old post that relates to a group of Vr. hieroglyphica seedlings, & a few grass pups that I got off them. See the link.

Cheers, Andrew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vriesea grass pups.

o

The grass pups grow to slow for me LOL...Even my neo moms that produce grass pups and the bloomed moms are heavily fed it still takes 4 years to get the plant big enough to do any thing with it...

o

Thanks Rick and Andrew. I was particularly interested to learn of the recommended mix for the grass pups. I knew about keeping them planted high in the mix - Bruce has had great results for propagation that way. He also only places the slow-release pellets near the base where the roots will grow, rather than right to the edges of the pot.

Rick - your Alc. edmundoi are more likely to be Alc. extensa. In Australia, many extensas have been incorrectly sold as Alc. edmundoi and nahoumii.

BTW. Brom-nutter = Richard... Bromaholic = Shane :)

K

o

Shane, sorry for calling you Richard.

Kerry,

Thanks for the update, if I can keep him alive until flowering I'll let you know if you are correct:)

Cheers,

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here