Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Till somnians

avane_gw
15 years ago

I always wanted to have one of those, so I was very happy to get one from a friend a while back! He does not know his various Neoregelias very well and is growing them in too much shade. He also has a very good selection of Tillandsias and those he knows everyone by name. He even described the T somnians as giving a long flower stalk with pups forming on it but also giving basal pups. I was beside myself with joy when I saw something happening in the centre, looking like the plant got ready to push out an inflorescence, but also started forming basal pups. Today, I saw a flower in the centre!

Looking at the plant now very crytically, I am sure this is not a Tillandsia at all but a Neo sapiatibensis. I always wanted one, but I got myself one about 3 months ago. So, no the hunt for a real T somnians has to start all over again as Lyn also does not have any!

Am I correct saying this is N sapiatibensis and not T somnians?

{{gwi:518446}}

Japie

Comments (18)

• User
    15 years ago

Bummer. That's not somnians Japie :-(
    The coloration is similar but the serrated margins should have stuck out. No tills have serrations that I'm aware of.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

That is a neo flower Japie

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Yup, that looks like N. sapiatibensis to me too, Japie. The stolon is very distinctive. It's a lousy seed parent, but you may want to save its pollen.

Maybe the Gonz can point you in the direction of a T. somnians. They seem to abound in SoCal........ ;-)

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi avane - Your plant isn't T. Somnians but some sort of Neo.

I was also given a pup of T. Somnians by a friend. It was attached to a bit of stolon and she said to just fasten it to a tree and forget it as it grows easily.

This I did and about twelve months later I noticed an inflorescence starting and it grew and grew and grew. Eventually the flowers formed on the end of its 83" length.

Now that the flowers are finished it has about five pups scattered at intervals along the inflorescence.

It is certainly something different; a most unusual and interesting plant and in my opinion, well worth growing.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I gave up trying to find the Somnians

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

i agrea i got t. Somnians here at home havnt seen it flower yet but i have seen picks of it i just loved the idea of it producing pups on its flower spike another good one at this is t. secunda
    phil

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yep - I agree with you and others, Japie - it's not T. somnians.
    I think I showed this pic yonks ago, but while it's topical I'll show it off again. This group was killed by THAT frost last year, but at least I still have a record of it...

{{gwi:446076}}

Good luck in your search, Japie.

K

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kerry, it is that picture of you that started my search for somnians! Beautifull!! I do hope you have some others left.

Japie

• User
    15 years ago

Not to try and outdo Kerry, here's my little patch of groundcover somnians. How many can you count?

{{gwi:518447}}

{{gwi:518448}}

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Japie and all,

T.somnians is one I'm looking for. I fell in love at first time I saw that very long spike with pups producing. That's a wounderful plant. I just got 2 last month. Hope they will flower and produce pups next year. ;-)

That looks like Neo. sapiatibensis to me.

Very nice plants Kerry and Gonzer

Cheers
    Yong

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

I wished you lived a little closer Japie...I could send you a box full! I've just had to remove a whole group that were growing thru a large lemon tree. Much to my wifes disgust, I have cut out the lemon tree to make way for a larger plastic house...somnians grow like weeds down here.

Here's a pic of some that I've tied onto a dracenas...they turn a nice red in full sun.

{{gwi:518449}}

• User
    15 years ago

Agreed Devo. I've had to remove many plants due to their procreative nature. Many are attached to cork and hanging, just to get 'em outta the way.

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

i was wondering how long does it take for a pup to flower than i can start enjoying mine more thanks

• User
    15 years ago

Phil, a year from formation to flowering isn't unheard of, although it is unusual. I've had them flower while still attached to the stalk.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yep - I agree with the Gonz, Phil. Usually between one and two years to flower from young pup.

Gonz - between 7 and 10 of your groundcover somnians?

Devo - yep, yep - love the colour when grown in full sun. Yours look great!

Japie - I lost ALL of mine :( ..... but have since bought anothery :)

HDD - maybe you need to do some serious grovelling to the Gonz to get one of his many excess ones :)

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

HaHa Kerry...Its hard for a neo nut to grovel with a Bill/Tilly nut...nothing to grovel with

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

awww....just use your natural charm, Hdd!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Maybe I need a slinky black dress to attract a decorative necklace? roflmao...