Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Bromeliad ID please

avane_gw
15 years ago

I feel like giving all you experts out there a little quiz! Please tell me what you think this is!!

A little back ground. Various time in the past when ordering plants, I thought about getting this one. But it had a very stiff price tag on it. So when I got the opportunity to get it at a much lower price, I went for it. Today, when I the plants arrived, I tried to guess the names before looking at the tag when opening the box. I had no idea what it was and was sure I did not order it. Ok, I must say, I never saw one in real life, only the pictures on FCBS - and we know that those pictures are not always a good indication of what the real plants look like. And this one, I might add, there are similarities, but is also vastly different!

So, please give it a go and tell me what you think it is!

{{gwi:518506}}

{{gwi:518507}}

{{gwi:518508}}

Japie

Comments (16)

• inang
    15 years ago

I am not an expert but I like it and hope I can find it. Is it Rosa Yvonne?

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, could it be Muscat?

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

OMG..could it be Neo Pride of Churchill...nbr 1 on my Neo Lust List?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Its kinda young to ID. Surely 'Rosea Striata' is involved in the parentage

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A tip - it is NOT a Neo . . . . it is not a bi-generic either!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi avane, what about a striated form of Ae. fasciata albomaginata?

All the best, Nev.

• inang
    15 years ago

An aechmea luedemmania? Dying to know, thanks.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Ae Electra or Electra red line red line

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Bill. Dorothy Berg? Mine doesn't have striation, but that's all that comes to mind.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah ha!!

I was expecting a Billbergia with nice variegation with somewhat of a pink flush if it was exposed to bright light - and it arrived beautifully red striated as well - even with some concentric banding! I asked Lyn and she said she got it from Michael.

Now I am just hoping for some of those white margins to turn green!!!

Have you got a picture of yours, Lisa?

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Ummmm....an albomarginated form of Ae. fasciata 'Kiwi'??...nah, the stripes would be more obvious on the underside of leaves...

ummm....Ae. 'Rodco'??

ummm....I give up!

K

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I don't have a pic on file, Japie, but I'll see if I can get one. It is just as you describe.

Meanwhile, isn't that a sliver of green/purple on one leaf margin?

• neomea
    15 years ago

She is tooooo pretty!

Nice score Japie!

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, here's my Dorothy Berg:

{{gwi:518509}}

The pinker one is showing a bit more of the dark banding, but no striation to speak of, other than the variegation. I don't know why the difference in color, since they were all potted at the same time. Maybe the greener one had a better root system to begin with, or got some mix with a bit more fert in it. Either way, they're all within the normal range of coloration for this cv.

I've never seen a bloom on it, and even though it's supposedly a variegated form of Gerda, it's never gotten as big as Gerda.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for the picture Lisa! Isn't DB supposed to be a form of Grande? I like the white look as well, but from your pink one I can see that it is the same as mine. I'm going to ask Lyn for a picture of all of hers to see if they all got that striation.

Japie

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, Grande was originally called Gerda, but it's not the same as Foster's Gerda. So I guess that's why it doesn't get as big (d'oh!). Beadle renamed it Grande to avoid the confusion.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz
More Discussions