Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kxs106

New Broms at Home

kxs106
15 years ago

I got this new brom. Here are some pics to share.

#1 Neo. Tunisia

{{gwi:518701}}

#2 Neo. Rien's Pride x tiger

{{gwi:518703}}

#3 Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger

{{gwi:518705}}

#4 Neo. Strawberry Jam (Got it with this name)

{{gwi:518707}}

#5 Aec. Jubilee

{{gwi:518709}}

{{gwi:518711}}

Comments (23)

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice plants, Kxs. I especially like that Rien's Pride x Tiger!

Japie

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Love the Tunisia (on the wish list now)

Cheers Richard

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Oh dear! Where to get that Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger !!!

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Lyndi, I thought you would freak out when you see it! Don't you recognise the tag? One of Michael's own hybrids!

Japie

• kxs106
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

Both Rien's Pride x Tiger and Tunisia are imported from Michael. Others are from local nurseries here.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yep - Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger gets my vote as well. I love the colour and teeth.
    Thanks for sharing your latest haul, kxs.

K

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi ksx106 - Nice little collection you have there - Ae. Jubilee looks interesting, what sort of flower does it have?

All the best, Nev.

• kxs106
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Splinter,

I never seen actual flower of it yet. However, i found a picture in Davegarden website and it's really nice yellow flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

The Jubilee bloom looks just like the Mulfordii bloom

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Japie, you know me well huh. Is this another one which he sells from under his bed?

Kxs, thanks for the tip-off! I will add that to my wishlist.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Jubilee looks like Ae Peaches and Cream.

{{gwi:518713}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bromadams, Ae Peaches and Cream should not look like Jubilee if Peaches ID is correct. Not even the same parents

• bromadams
    15 years ago

What are the parents of P&C? I've heard rumors that its a variegated clone of rubens. Jubilee is supposed to be a "variegated clone of mulfordii". Given the whole Gravisia mess I wonder who really knows if their mulfordiis are marked correctly.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Do you have both plants, HDD? I always thought Jubilee and P&C were two names given to the same plant by different people. A side by side pic might help clear that up.

The article in question doesn't come up on your link, Nick (see below). I'm not sure what the difference is between mulfordii and rubens, but Derek seems to feel that virtually everything in the Gravisia complex keys out to callichroma anyway. If that's the case I have a feeling the problem might be in the key, not the plants. Either that or the specimens being grown in Australia differ from what's being grown in the US. I have eurycorymbus and it doesn't look at all like what I know as mulfordii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gravisia complex

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

I agree, Bromadams. I also thought that Jubilee looked just like my Peaches N Cream - and when I bought my P&C I was told it was a variegated form of mulfordii. The inflorescence looks the same too. Yours is a nice specimen.

My P&C is an unstable variegate - the pups are all green - and I've bought two over time. Same thing happened with both, and to other collectors' specimens. I've given up on it now - plus they are quite cold sensitive. Does your P&C throw variegated pups, Bromadams?

According to Unc Derek, most of those gravisias are callichroma. We have the same mix up in Australia, inherited from the U.S.. However, my supposed rubens has a lilac tinge in the warmer months, but not as deep as Malva - another supposed form of mulfordii. My supposed eurycorymbus has a much stiffer, upright form, and a taller inflo with more spread-out branches and bracts. And then I have the all green supposed mulfordii, which I suspect are reverted P&Cs.

I doubt anyone knows the "truth" with this group. Hopefully, someone keen enough is dissecting the floral bits and plant forms of the whole group - and will publish a "magnum opus" on them (if only us "plebs" could understand it!). I also suspect that many are natural hybrids, and we might not ever be able to sus out their true species identities. Meanwhile, all of mine have question marks on their labels.

K

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Sorry Lisa - we were posting at the same time. Sounds like you have the same doubts as me. And we have made the same observations about eurycorymbus - which suggests that mine could be the same as yours, and did make it to Oz?

K

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Sounds that way, Kerry. Maybe I'll start a new thread.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Lisa, thanks for correcting my bad link.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Kxs, in the first picture visible just below the stand on which Tunisa is, there is a dark green neo with reddish tips and a red cup, what is that?

Japie

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Japie it looks like RC

• kxs106
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Japie,

I like this one very much. But, I don't think there is a registered name for this one. It's a seedling of Neo. Lila from a local nursery here. ( tag said "Lila-J2")

{{gwi:518715}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Should read Lila F2

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Kxs and HDD!