Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Broms at Home

Posted by kxs106 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 9:06

I got this new brom. Here are some pics to share.

#1 Neo. Tunisia
Neoregelia Tunisia

#2 Neo. Rien's Pride x tiger
Photobucket

#3 Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger
Photobucket

#4 Neo. Strawberry Jam (Got it with this name)
Neo Strawberry Jam

#5 Aec. Jubilee
Aec. Jubilee

Brom Desk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Broms at Home

Very nice plants, Kxs. I especially like that Rien's Pride x Tiger!

Japie

o

Love the Tunisia (on the wish list now)

Cheers Richard

o

Oh dear! Where to get that Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger !!!

o

Lyndi, I thought you would freak out when you see it! Don't you recognise the tag? One of Michael's own hybrids!

Japie

o

Lyndi,

Both Rien's Pride x Tiger and Tunisia are imported from Michael. Others are from local nurseries here.

o

Yep - Neo. Rien's Pride x Tiger gets my vote as well. I love the colour and teeth.
Thanks for sharing your latest haul, kxs.

K

o

Hi ksx106 - Nice little collection you have there - Ae. Jubilee looks interesting, what sort of flower does it have?

All the best, Nev.

o

Splinter,

I never seen actual flower of it yet. However, i found a picture in Davegarden website and it's really nice yellow flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers

o

The Jubilee bloom looks just like the Mulfordii bloom

o

Japie, you know me well huh. Is this another one which he sells from under his bed? Photobucket

Kxs, thanks for the tip-off! I will add that to my wishlist.

o

Jubilee looks like Ae Peaches and Cream.

o

Bromadams, Ae Peaches and Cream should not look like Jubilee if Peaches ID is correct. Not even the same parents

o

What are the parents of P&C? I've heard rumors that its a variegated clone of rubens. Jubilee is supposed to be a "variegated clone of mulfordii". Given the whole Gravisia mess I wonder who really knows if their mulfordiis are marked correctly.

o

Do you have both plants, HDD? I always thought Jubilee and P&C were two names given to the same plant by different people. A side by side pic might help clear that up.

The article in question doesn't come up on your link, Nick (see below). I'm not sure what the difference is between mulfordii and rubens, but Derek seems to feel that virtually everything in the Gravisia complex keys out to callichroma anyway. If that's the case I have a feeling the problem might be in the key, not the plants. Either that or the specimens being grown in Australia differ from what's being grown in the US. I have eurycorymbus and it doesn't look at all like what I know as mulfordii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gravisia complex

o

I agree, Bromadams. I also thought that Jubilee looked just like my Peaches N Cream - and when I bought my P&C I was told it was a variegated form of mulfordii. The inflorescence looks the same too. Yours is a nice specimen.

My P&C is an unstable variegate - the pups are all green - and I've bought two over time. Same thing happened with both, and to other collectors' specimens. I've given up on it now - plus they are quite cold sensitive. Does your P&C throw variegated pups, Bromadams?

According to Unc Derek, most of those gravisias are callichroma. We have the same mix up in Australia, inherited from the U.S.. However, my supposed rubens has a lilac tinge in the warmer months, but not as deep as Malva - another supposed form of mulfordii. My supposed eurycorymbus has a much stiffer, upright form, and a taller inflo with more spread-out branches and bracts. And then I have the all green supposed mulfordii, which I suspect are reverted P&Cs.

I doubt anyone knows the "truth" with this group. Hopefully, someone keen enough is dissecting the floral bits and plant forms of the whole group - and will publish a "magnum opus" on them (if only us "plebs" could understand it!). I also suspect that many are natural hybrids, and we might not ever be able to sus out their true species identities. Meanwhile, all of mine have question marks on their labels.

K

o
RE: New Broms at Home - gravisia mix-up

Sorry Lisa - we were posting at the same time. Sounds like you have the same doubts as me. And we have made the same observations about eurycorymbus - which suggests that mine could be the same as yours, and did make it to Oz?

K

o

Sounds that way, Kerry. Maybe I'll start a new thread.

o

Lisa, thanks for correcting my bad link.

o

Kxs, in the first picture visible just below the stand on which Tunisa is, there is a dark green neo with reddish tips and a red cup, what is that?

Japie

o

Japie it looks like RC

o

Japie,

I like this one very much. But, I don't think there is a registered name for this one. It's a seedling of Neo. Lila from a local nursery here. ( tag said "Lila-J2")

Photobucket

o

Should read Lila F2

o

Thanks Kxs and HDD!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here