Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwinoz0

Double Flowered Neo, why?

kiwinoz0
16 years ago

My first time trying to post here so please bare with me.

Can anypone tell me why a Brom I have, has 2 flowers in the centre, name unknown as it wasn't tagged when I purchased it and already had the double flower.

What causes a Neo to do this and why?

Is it rare for a Neo to do this?

{{gwi:518813}}

{{gwi:518815}}

Comments (8)

• sander_s
    16 years ago

That is really weird!! Wow.
    I think that is very rare I don't know what causes that.

Sander

• Minxie
    16 years ago

I grow a small Neo called angel face that does that 1 out of four times

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

It's actually pretty common to get two or more "heads" in a cup, but it's not so common to get two of equal size, and so clearly separated like that. What is more usual is one main one with a smaller cluster tucked into one side of it, barely noticeable unless you are observing the pattern of bloom. Neos bloom from the outer ring of bracts in towards the center, so when you see flowers opening in a location that are not part of the normal pattern, if you look closer you'll often see two or three different whorls of bracts clustered together.

I don't know why they do that, but if you elongated the inflorescence it would be roughly the same as branching taking place in an Aechmea or some other genus.

• kiwinoz0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lisa, so it's common but not so common to have the flower heads the same size, very interesting.

I wonder if the pups it has on it currently will do the same?

Again thanks and Merry Christmas to all and to all a Merry Christmas

• kiwinoz0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops sorry was putting my Brom pictures in the correct folder and didn't realise I had deleted the pic from here in the opening post.

{{gwi:518817}}

Also wanted to show an updated one of the flower, as out of all my broms which is close to 700 this has the darkest flower than any others I have, sorry picture doesn't quite give it the justice it deserves

{{gwi:518819}}

Flowers are also bigger than others I have had flowering

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Wow Kiwi! That's one unusual neo you have. I'd be interested to find out if any subsequent pups do the same. It might not be that uncommon to get a double header, but I have never seen it before - and yours is so perfectly divided.
    Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
    Cheers,
    Kerry

• jaga
    16 years ago

We also have a vrisea pup with four (yes 4) heads- pretty creepy huh- should we compost it ? It may make an interesting display come flowering time though!
    A pic of the mutant
    {{gwi:518821}}
    Same plant with straws inserted to show the multiple heads
    {{gwi:518823}}

• lyndi_whye
    16 years ago

Those 4 may be pups as well.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor
More Discussions