hotdiggetydam

Acanthostachys pitcairnioides

hotdiggetydam
15 years ago

Does this plant have edible fruit?

Comments (6)

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

As far as I know, all of the Bromelioideae subfamily produce a fruit or berry which is "edible". Whether or not they are "tasty" or "palatable" may depend on the species, and the individual who is sampling a berry or two. ;- )
    One of our society members (who is far more adventurous and braver than I am) has sampled a good number of Aechmea fruits and has even proclaimed some of them to be quite tasty. I know he has tried fruit of Acanthostachys strobilacea. His verdict on that one is that "it tastes better than it smells"! I take him at his word on that. LOL
    Paul

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi HDD - Sorry I can't answer your question, but I have one for you.
    Can you post a pic. of the above plant and/or flower. I was recently given some seed and they are growing like mad but I've never seen the plant.

Thanks in advance, all the best Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My question came from something I found surfing

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruity

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

Nev, check out this link from a previous thread about A. pitcairnioides-
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg050127489792.html
    Chanin took some great photos of a plant that he followed through the process of blooming.
    hdd- I'm guessing you've got some ripening fruit that you're mustering the courage to try? If so, I'm sure that you'll let us know what we're missing!

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Hi Nev, here is a pic of the plant but I dont have a pic of it flowering.
    It has a small pink/purple flower down in the crown (close to the base of the plant).

Cheers Richard

{{gwi:519245}}

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Gidday Hotdiggetydam and Happy Birthday for Thursday, what a way to start the New Year.
    I have this plant and it is one of my favs. particularly as it is not often seen here in Australia. Mine has red/brown leaves and a violet coloured flower, just exquisite - I grow it in a sunny spot. I have a beautiful photo of it in flower but am unable to work out how to post photos on this forum. Need to be told in detail in simple language - not so computer savvy I'm afraid and my computer is veerrry slow. There is one on sale here on ebay and the listing says the fruit is edible.
    Blue_Heeler

Sponsored
More Discussions