Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drmedusae

caput medusae vs. caput medusae

drmedusae
9 years ago

Hi all,

Could someone please tell me the difference between the two plants in the pic below? I am familiar with the darker green, thin curly leaved variety for sure but do not deny that the light green fat leaved sister is also very "gorgon"geous. :) Is the light green a caput medusae sub species? is it a hybrid? I call upon your combined wisdom and guidance. Thank you!

Comments (8)

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

One might be the Mexican form.......Wait for gonz to tell us.....he maybe off on holiday..

• User
    9 years ago

HD, vacation??? That's funny!
    There is a plant listed for sale as "purple caput-medusa" of which I find no information on in any files I've looked.
    Quite possibly this is a hybrid between caput-medusa and T. circinnitoides.

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

Hi all, thanks for asking this question Drmedusae, i brought a mixed bag of T's and had both these in there. Im glad gonzer is back from vacation to helpâº

Tim

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Hey gonz I said holiday...not vacation LOL

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone especially Gonzer (the great? got a good rhyme to it). In my quest to find what circinnatoides looks like I stumbled upon this photoblog which has quite breathtaking photos.
    It's the third one down. http://wilding-diary.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html
    Pretty convincing I must say Gonzer, that what I have is the lovechi...I mean hybrid of these two.
    I really dig the circinnatoides inflorescence. It's like a mini t. cyanea bloom.
    Even though I love caput medusae to bits, the bloom is not that impressive to me. So, I will be happy if it has a circinnatoides (okay, what's the story behind this name?).
    I will also try to get an answer from the people I purchased these plants from and post it if it's anything different.
    Thanks again, everyone. This forum rocks! As do tillandsias.

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys,

The online seller I purchased these plants from has replied, to my query regarding the light green specimen, that they only carry caput medusae and do not have any caput hybrids.
    I am a bit confused. They do stock t. circinata (which looks similar to circinnatoides) and maybe it was a clandestine affair between the two.

Happy Monday!

Meddy

• User
    9 years ago

T. circinata is no longer a valid name. It is now T. circinnatoides.

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gonzer! That's an awesome id on your part.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor