Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

Making Babies

lovelyiris
15 years ago

Ok, now that I have your attention I have a question.

I have a bunch of Billbergia Nutans, and a very lonely silvery looking bromeliad that HDD I D'd for me last week. Of course I promptly lost the scrap of paper I wrote it down on.

Anyway my question is this...when I put the bromeliad plants in the greenhouse I noticed several of the baskets had the regular looking Billbergia Nutans but also growing in the same baskets were some bigger looking brome plants. These are growing right along with the others. The only thing I see possible here (and the good Lord Knows I know NOTHING at bromeliads) is that maybe they crossed with one another or.... something happened to make some of the billbergia twice or more so bigger around than all the others in the same basket.

I've had the Bill- Nutan plants for several years and I just keep dividing them up and making more baskets with them. I'm the one that bought and mixed the soil for them so there is no chance that there were some other bromeliads near by that could have had anything to do with these. Just the one lonely big silvery gray looking one like the sale at Lowes or somewhere.

I do not fertilize any of these plants. They get everything from mother nature and if it's hot and dry, I keep them watered, that's about all I do for them.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened here? I'm bum-fuzzeld.

Thanks in advance, Marian the Bromeliad Newbie....

Comments (4)