Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And yet another for ID

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 15:16

Hi again everyone,

I thought seeing it is quiet on the GW at present I would jump in and post another NOID. It's growing in bright light and is about 12" to the top of the leaves and 20" to the top of the inflorescence.

Can anyone help with a name please?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And yet another for ID

I have one in flower at the moment too. Mine is tagged as Aechmea carvalhoi.

o

I have one in flower at the moment too. Mine is tagged as Aechmea carvalhoi.

o

Hi blue heeler, Thanks for that info.

This could be the name I am looking for, but two things puzzle me, and they are, that your member's page shows you as being from US and if that's so, why would our plants both be in flower at identical times? The other thing is that the blue heeler tag is very much Australian, so what's the go?

Thanks for the feedback, all the best, Nev.

o

Hello again, I am very much an Aussie (southern Queensland). When I signed up for Gardenweb they asked for a Zipcode and on the advice of other Aussie Gardenwebbers I put in 91210 from the TV show Beverley Hills 91210. That probably explains why my member's page says I am from the US'
Aechmea carvalhoi

o

Yep mine is the Beverly hills code as well ,without a U.S code you dont seem to get on ,there is a lot of Aussie's in Beverly hills .bit silly but it works .
Jack

o

Hi Nev,It looks like Weilbachii forma pendula to me.Did the flower become more pendulous than in the photo? Cheers Fran

o

Hi everyone,

Fran I also have Weilbachii forma pendula but this is a very different plant. It's much tougher and has a very stiff upright inflorescence and the berries stay for months and months. It also tolerates strong sun much better.

Blue Heeler and Vriesea, you're both smarter than me; when I tried to join GW I tore my hair out trying to work out why GW wouldn't accept my post code and then someone suggested I add a '0' to one end of it and the rest is history.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here