Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bromelaid care

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 15:23

I just bought my first Bromelaid. It was on the clearance table and the flower was dying but it had a larger pup growing in the same pot so I bought it. I've read that the parent plant dies after flowering. Should I seperate the parent plant from the pup now or wait til it dies down? Any advice on watering and fertilizing? Thanks, Marg

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bromelaid care

I would wait until spring when its warm to seperate the pup

o

Hi everyone - I'm still around and drop in occasionally, however there's not as much to read on here as there once was.

Marric- In addition to what HDD said, you can also cut off the dead flower spike so it's not sucking nourishment out of the mother plant thereby leaving more available food for the pup.

Also, just be careful when standing the pot in a saucer and make sure it's not sitting in water as this can be sucked up like a wick and therefore will continually keep the potting mix too wet which is harmful to the plant.

All the best, Nev.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 9:22

More questions, how long does it take for the pup to flower? I guess I'm just impatient. I saw on a video on YouTube that you should leave water in the cup but am not really sure where the cup is, is it the top set of leaves where the flower comes from? When I repot in the spring should I use a gritty mix or just tropical plant soil? Marg

o

That is quite a large pup, so it may flower next year.
Yes, the cup is where the flower stem grew out from.
I use a gritty mix with less than 10% peat based.

tj

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 9:02

Thanks for the info tj. I'm looking forward to seeing the pup bloom! Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here