Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_nutter

Problem with FCBS

brom-nutter
14 years ago

Hi all, does anyone else have a problem accessing FCBS at the momment.

Everytime I try it freezes my computer.

Cheers Richard

Comments (17)

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Hey Richard...I can access FCBS and search.

• matt15
    14 years ago

Richard there are soo many plausable causes for a computer freeze. If you can isolate it to only this website or just web browsing in general perhaps its Internet Explorer.

One way to get around this is to download a FREE web browser like FireFox which is relatively easy to use.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

I would however go to your IE options and delete ALL previous history including temp files and cookies.

Also ensure IE is updated to the latest version which can be done here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/default.aspx

The problem might also lie within an incorporated program to IE too like Frash player.
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Otherwise if all else fails the best solution to solve any problem is to backup everything you want to keep and format your HD for a clean new installation of Windows.

HTH

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Richard, before you do anything drastic to your computer, everything on the FCBS site works fine EXCEPT for when you click on 'Neoregelia' from the Genera menu - then it just hangs in there for a couple of minutes and eventually returns to the General menu. This is hapening for me the past couple of days. Maybe the Webmaster is just working on the Neoregelia database.

Japie

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Japie, thanks - my exact problem.
    Hope its corrected soon.

Cheers Richard

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Richard/Japie,

The Neo database was locking up on me as well, thanks for the post I thought my PC might be on the way out.

The link below seems to work OK or maybe they have fixed it.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo database

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Richared

Same problem down south as well. I haven't been able to acess it since Saturday.

Jeeze Matt, your instructions are OK if you're a young computer whiz kid like you, but what about old farts like me who are computer illiterate, do I just hit the self destruct button?

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I just tested out clicking on Neoregelia on the genus index, and it opened right up for me. Same with the cvs, so either it's regional or it's been fixed. You can probably get around it by using the search database. If that fails you might email Michael Andreas at the webmaster address and let him know the problem.

LOL, Nev, I was thinking exactly the same thing! See link below for my "old fart" response to people like Matt. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:521121}}

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

I did send Michael an e-mail and he suggested clearing my Internet cache as he found no problem with FCBS. I did that and it worked, but only for a couple of minutes and freezing up all over again. And clearing and trying again did not solve the problem this time. So, maybe it is a regional thing again for all of us West of the USA!

By the way, I tried using Safari browser (normally I use Internet Explorer 8) and that works just fine!

Japie

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

I did some further investigation and saw that there was a security update (automatic) done for Internet Explorer on the 10th December - just about the time the problem started for me. I removed the update and now FCBS is working like a dream! So, all of you that experience problems, are you using IE 8?

Japie

• matt15
    14 years ago

lol Lisa @ your picture.

I'm certainly not a whiz kid... i'm too old now for that label.
    I did however grow up with computers and enbrace all technological advances. I also fix, repair and upgrade computers for friends at a 'mates rate' price.

There's no such thing as a regional problem either. I would follow the advice myself and Japie have given. Computers are like cars and need to be serviced every once in awhile so updating IE and clearing all past history will certainly help.

Perhaps this was a webmaster/host problem.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Ah well, I've been procrastinating on installing any IE updates because I don't understand the questions they ask me, LOL. I just keep clicking "ask me later" and go on about my business. Maybe that's why I'm not having the same trouble with it as the rest of you!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Japie and Matt,

Any chance of some "simple, easy to understand steps for computer illiterate old farts" on how to remove the 10 Dec. security update on internet explorer 8 and also, where will I find it?

All the best, Nev.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I had trouble with FCBS too. Am running IE and its probably updated (auto) I also have an automatic cleaner of cookies and history e.t.c, but don't really know how that works. I too would be interested in some instructions for a mini makeover! he he.
    BA

• fdnpedro
    14 years ago

Hi all, IE has the highest error rate of all the browsers. Ask Eric Gouda who manages Florapix. Use Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome or whatever and update the Java. Cheers, Pedro

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. IE8 seems to be working OK for me at the moment running on Vista. Then again, I haven't received an automatic infestation from Microsoft for IE since late Nov. Maybe I'm yet to experience its delights. Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having a bit of problem with GW also. I tried to post a response to Rick's thread and I can't submit it. It just seems frozen. Also udo69's response seems to be incomplete as well. Maybe it's just the gremlins in this computer, anyway I'll see if I can post this one, here's hoping.

All the best, Nev.

• matt15
    14 years ago

There are a million reasons why you all might be having problems using these forums.

The hardest thing with this thou is that everybody has different PC's, we are all running different operating systems and we all have different levels or knowledge, experience and understanding with it comes to computers.

Thurs far my PC is fine and todate i've never had any problems so i can only assume that its an individual local problem.

My advice:
    (i'll try and keep as simple as possible)

FIRST
    Cleanup your PC.
    If this doesn't solve the issues update your OS and IE which i'll explain further below.

Cleaning up your PC is like servicing a car and should be done every few months.
    1.) Internet Explorer aka IE
    go to - TOOLS (in above tab)
    go to - INTERNET OPTIONS (this will open a new screen)
    go to - BROWSING HISTORY (is a sub heading which should appear on the first page)
    Here u can select two buttons being DELETE or SETTINGS.
    go to - DELETE
    Here you should select the following and hit DELETE.
    - Temp internet files
    - History
    - Cookies

SECOND
    Update your OS (operating system)
    Most members here will use either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Windows can be updated by visiting this link:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Windows XP is rather manual however Windows Vista and 7 will automatically open its UPDATE program. Follow the prompts with either to update windows.

THIRD
    Update Internet Explorer aka IE.
    The latest version is eight aka IE-8.
    It can be downloaded here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

Again follow the prompts.

If anybody is unsure about this or would like more help feel free to e-mail me @ matt15@bigpond.net.au

Cheers Matt

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional