Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Some carcharodons and hybrids

avane_gw
14 years ago

Let's carry on with Jack's theme : "I'll show you mine, show me yours!" Hope fully we will see as much variety and different looks as a result of different growing conditions as was the case with the Ae orlandianas.

Here are some of mine and some hybrids with carcharodon in their making.

Let's start with one that I have high hopes for some beautiful babies,

Neo David and Sherlette

{{gwi:521187}}

And while with the variegated ones, here is

Neo Chester

{{gwi:521188}}

And another, almost the same looking with reverse variegation

Neo Pink on Black

{{gwi:521189}}

And then some hybrids with carcharodon as part of the parentage,

Neo Rien's Pride x Tiger (still a young plant)

{{gwi:521191}}

And even younger still

Neo French's cruenta x Tiger

{{gwi:521192}}

{{gwi:521193}}

Nice and big already, but hopefully will do some more growing,

Neo carcharodon #2 hybrid Brazil

{{gwi:521194}}

{{gwi:521195}}

Neo carcharodon species Brazil, red spotted

{{gwi:521196}}

Specially for Lyndi,

Neo Giant

{{gwi:521197}}

{{gwi:521198}}

Neo Silver

{{gwi:521199}}

{{gwi:521200}}

Still young and one that I cannot seem to get the growing condition right to get those nice bands that a lot of you can get so perfect,

Neo Tiger

{{gwi:521201}}

And then one that I can bragg with,

Neo Rainbow

{{gwi:521202}}

{{gwi:521203}}

{{gwi:521204}}

And just for the fun, something completely different,

Aech ampla

{{gwi:521205}}

Now let's have some carcharodons from all of you who contributes to this forum as well. Looking forward to see plenty!

Japie

Comments (22)

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Japie

Let me add my Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon to this thread. Soon you will have a list of your own crosses to add to the list.
    {{gwi:506874}}

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Japie,

Great idea for a thread. I'm away from home for a while so I can't upload any new pics to post, but I can sure enjoy everyone else's. Great plants. Your 'Tiger' looks a lot like mine - a bit more banding would be nice, but still a great plant. However, your 'Silver' and 'Rainbow' are just absolutely fantastic. If my 'Rainbow' pup ever gets anything like that I'll be deliriously happy and I just gotta getta 'Silver'. And those hybrids look great.

Nice hybrid, Lyndi. If I could get to my pics, the one I would post would be 'Jaws albomarginata', but hey Rick, if you're following this, I think from memory that you have a beaut 'Jaws'?

And Japie, I think you've convinced me that I need to get an Aech. ampla to put next to my Hoh. castellanosii as well. Stunning colour!

Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    14 years ago

Japie! Love 'em all!!!

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Japie,

Great looking plants, I'll try and post a picture of my Tiger later to make you feel better about yours.

Paul,

I don't have Jaws, I took the liberty of posting one of your old pics maybe you can post an update when you get back.

{{gwi:485687}}

Rick

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Japie,

What a great collection of variety and colour you've presented us with this time. Your plants as usual are immaculate and well presented and really do this old bloke's eyes good.

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Nev.

P.S. Did you get my two emails?

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Gee, where to start? There are so many!

My Silver has never looked nearly as nice as yours, Japie. Up until it bloomed, it mostly resembled a big artichoke:

{{gwi:521206}}

You can see Rainbow to the right and some Tigers behind. Those are French's Cruenta in the front (the other parent in Japie's seedlings). The plants are somewhat greened up, not only from being in the darker shadehouse, but also because I repotted them before I moved them in there. Here is Rainbow coming into bloom, with Tiger behind, and Rubra (N. gigas) to the left:

{{gwi:521207}}

Rainbow looked a lot better before I moved it (but the newer shadehouse has a lock!)

{{gwi:521208}}

Tiger colors up better in the 40% house too. The one on the left was undergoing a temporary identity crisis. It lost its stripes for a while, but gained them back later. The stripes came back while it was greened up in the 60% house, so it's obviously not light or fertilizer related. It's just quirky that way.

{{gwi:521209}}

N. carcharodon sp. Brazil is only about half the size of the others, but I love it! The smaller flowers make it easier to cross with other Neos too.

{{gwi:521210}}

Some Tiger children and grandchildren, Groves Red Tiger, Norman Bates and HL x Foster's Pink Tips:

{{gwi:521211}}

I have lots of Tiger crosses in the works, but I'm not going to show them all here. I'll just show a few of the offspring from the first one I did, with Rubra/gigas as the other parent:

{{gwi:521212}}

Of course when you get into Hannibal and his siblings, the hybrids are endless. HL in back, with one of Sharon P's hybrids of it in front:

{{gwi:521213}}

HLxFPT again, one of my favorites (G. Groves hybrid):

{{gwi:521214}}

Clarise x Crowning Glory (M. Kiehl hybrid):

{{gwi:521215}}

I've got a bunch of HL crosses in the works too, but you'll just have to wait for those! ;-)

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

thanks Lisa - once again some beautiful plants and always informative titles for each. information in tid-bits is my fave information!

seems all the HL hybridisers are overseas - pity as I love my HL and would be great to get some of the fantastic looking hybrids.

thanks for sharing
    Kristan

• brom-nutter
    14 years ago

Hi Japie, nothing like Lisa's but here are a couple of mine.

Cheer Richard

{{gwi:521216}}

{{gwi:521217}}

{{gwi:521218}}

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, Lyndi, this time yours is much better looking than mine!

Rick/Paul, I like that Jaws - looks a bit like Yin, but a much more robust/teethier plant.

Thanks Neville! Yeah I got them - will try and sit down at the computer long enough tonight to write you a long letter!

Lisa, all beautiful but that Red Spotted species looks stunning and as you can see, my one is loosing its spots. Hopefully it's a Winter thing as I see they are coming back a bit. And those Rubra x Tigers are stunning!

Richard, that first one of yours, is that also the Red Spotted species from Brazil? Nice wide leaves!

Thank you all for showing them!

Japie

• brom-nutter
    14 years ago

Hi Japie, the first one is from seed collected from a garden in Brazil.
    Second photo is Macho x pascoliana.
    Third of course Tiger - needing more light.

Cheers Richard

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

WOW people, is all I can really say...I'm a bit late to the party but couldn't go to bed without saying awesome work and well done to the hybridists and seed growers who contributed. I envy you all and hope one day us Kiwis will be graced with such awesome sharks for us to enjoy in our gardens. Mr Norman Bates is such a stunner of a man isn't he ?...not really a psycho in my book...Gonna have to get me a date with him some day ! haha.
    Cheers
    Graeme

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Lisa, I wanted to ask why you said (about the small sp from Brazil) "The smaller flowers make it easier to cross with other Neos too."

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Nick, I have never been successful using the larger carcharodons as seed parents with anything but another carch's pollen. I know that other people have managed to do it, and I have no explanation for that, but for me the larger flower seems to be a barrier to accepting a smaller flower's pollen. I've always figured it was the old pollen tube disparity, i.e. that each grain of pollen is engineered to create a pollen tube that is just long enough to reach its own ovary. When you put the pollen onto a stigma where it has a longer distance to travel it may fall short of the intended target. This is the theory behind why Alcantareas won't accept Vriesea pollen unless you cut the pistil short and dab some stigmatic fluid on the cut end. I know it's true for other plant families as well.

I've done a lot of crosses with Tiger as pollen parent, but it has never worked for me as a seed parent, even though the stigma is sunk pretty far down in the throat. The smaller carch. sp. has flowers that morphologically resemble Tiger's, but they're closer in size to the average Neo, so I was able to use it as a seed parent as well as a pollen parent. Remember that Momona x Big Mac (#3) from the other thread? Yup, the carch liked that pollen just fine! ;-)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

There seem to be plenty of reasons for crosses to fail and in the end it doesn't much matter why, you just have to work around the problem or move on to something else. I'm sure your tips on working around the carcharodon problem will get used.

I think that this article was published in the BSI Journal, but I don't know what issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: CONTROLLING PREFERTILIZATION BARRIERS BY IN VITRO POLLINATION AND FERTILIZATION OF BROMELIACEAE

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

Japies Rainbow is fabulous.
    @ Japie - Do you take orders for Ae. Ampla seed? :-))

Lyndys Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon cross impresses me every time I see it. This reddish tone is magical.

Rick/Pauls Jaws is just awesome.

Lisas N. carcharodon sp. Brazil is a very sweet little jewel. Her Norman Bates picture saved the life of mine. I will now give it a bit more time and let it develop into something nice but to be on the safe side, I showed him yours in case mine forgot what it is supposed to be doing and threatened him to give him away if it did not obey. Is there something like a good clone and bad clone of NB? Could not post a pic, photobucket is currently maintained.

The HL x Foster's Pink Tips is already on my shopping list.

This fantastic red of those Tiger X Rubra crosses is something I keep coming back to.

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

here you go

{{gwi:521219}}

• fdnpedro
    14 years ago

Hi all

As some of you know, N carcharodon types are a specialty of mine. I have been selfing and hybridising with Macho in particular for 15 years and many others in the last 5 or so. Some batches are duds but others are great, and they can be relatively small too (but with big spines often!). Macho often brings red and spotting into crosses as well as occasional zonation. The Tiger x Macho and reverse are showing spots and bars and a lot of colour. Macho will self so, unless anthers are removed early, more lovely Machos can be the result.
    The gigas and hybrids and silvomontana crosses with the carcharodons will be interesting as Lisa's plants show - neat stuff! Unfortunately, after the floods and space problems, most of my plants aren't showing their best as they need repotting an spreading out.

A few pics below give an idea of what can be expected that's different to what's already shown.

Also, Richard, the story of those carch hybs ex Brazil is simply what you get when you take a few pods from a garden-grown carch over there. All manner of plants came out including a couple below. Some had red centres and one is cherry red with stiff leaves. The birds do the same here too!

Lisa, the long stigma hasn't affected my work - gigas is really receptive but silvomontana was less productive (still some crosses set seed) esp with gigas. The reverses were fine. In 2 years I'll have a much better idea! I set lots of seed on my Machos but much less on Tiger and none on Norman Bates last year. I hope the variegated Tigers are productive! Have you had experience with these types as Mothers? I have never produced a variegated seedling from the variegated gigas hybrids (Jaws group, Cauldera, Blast Furnace, Big Bang, Triffid, etc). There are others in the States but mine were seedlings in the 90's direct from Chester hence the Aussie registered names. They make good crosses with carchs though!

Thanks to all the contributors - enjoyed all the pics too!
    Pedro

Lots of Mach, Tiger, Silver, gigas hybrids (needing re-potting)
    {{gwi:521220}}

Macho hybs

{{gwi:521222}}

N MacFab
    {{gwi:521223}}

N MacGoodie
    {{gwi:521226}}

More from the Brazil seed

{{gwi:521228}}

{{gwi:521229}}

N Macho/Tiger crosses - MacTiger and MacRegiT (selected ones)
    {{gwi:521230}}

{{gwi:521231}}

Variegated Tiger crosses (not NB or HL). Macho x front and back
    {{gwi:521232}}

Macho x Tunisia (MacTunis for selected ones, others yet to be named)

{{gwi:521234}}

Hope this adds to the discussion

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Carcharodons have white flowers and white seed pods? I have a mystery plant that looks a lot like your Brazil seed plants and mine had white flowers and a white seed pod. I crossed it with a lot of things (but few neos) and only 'Apollo's Poetry' took and that is part carcharodon.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Great googly moogly, it looks like we've hit the motherlode! Love those Macho x Tunisia crosses, Pedro! And what's the cross in pic #6?

Also, what's the story on the variegated Tigers? They didn't start out with (cxHL)?

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, Pedro, I was hoping you would show us some of yours. Thanks very much!

That MacFab is Fab-ulous! Not even to mention those variegated Tigers. And I am curious, like Lisa, how they came to be!

And if I may push my luck, you don't have a nice pic of an almost mature Neo Silvomontana perhaps? And do you perhaps know whether it is self fertile or self pollinates?

Keep up the good work with your Sharks!

Japie

• fdnpedro
    14 years ago

Hi all, I will post regarding silvomontana/gigas/related hybrids in a new thread soon when I do some new pics. I don't think silvo selfs, as Leme says. Lisa, the varieg Tigers are carol x T x T, I was assured, not from HL; I have the same with Silver, but ex CR of course. I got them as seedlings but the gas killed 75% unfortunately. I'll use them as Mothers next year and see what I get. Pic 6 is from the grex that Richard mentioned - seed from a garden carch in Brazil. I've got an image of the plant somewhere - a few of us grew on seed but only a few were really marbled, mostly mottled. It is interesting that noone much here was interested in my Macho hybs until recently. I even didn't bother sowing seed some years. Good to see the sharks are getting the kudos they deserve now!

Cheers, Pedro

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I've been pottering around in the garden today dreaming about having a Carch Tiger in there so had to have a re-look at this post and enjoy Japie's, Lynn's, Lisa's and others Carch's. Just makes me want a Tiger and Rainbow more than ever!

Glad I re-checked the post too so as to see Pedro's collection. Wow - some great looking plants there!!

I better wipe the drool from my keyboard! haha
    Kristan

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions