Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

What's the preferred fungicide

splinter1804
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I need some help.

I have a bit of fungus starting in a couple of take-away food containers in which I am growing some brom. seeds.

The seeds are just starting to show tiny green leaves and I don't want to spray them with something which may be too strong for them and cause them harm.

Could someone with seed growing experience on this forum please advise me of a suitable fungicide available in Aust.

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev.

Comments (8)

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi Nev,
    I use a product called "Fongarid" on my young brom seedlings in take-away containers, diluted at the recommended rate for seedlings in a spray bottle. It's packed in little sachets and works quite well, and does not harm the young seedlings. I use it at sowing time, and then maybe every few weeks after that. I also use "Algitrol"(or "Alginox"), a non-copper-based algaeside used for swimming pools. Both products can be found in large Bunnings stores - "Fongarid" in the gardening section, and "Algitrol" in the swimming pool-care section. I use them alternatively, as I worry that mixing them might make them defunct. Also, if you give your seedlings a bit of air now and again, this can help avoid fungus build-up.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• User
    15 years ago

Kerry, I also thank you for the info on the algaecide, I was going to post a thread but Nev beat me to it.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Gonz. I forgot to say that with the algaecide, I use a ratio of 2-5ml (half to full teaspoon) per one litre of water. Also, it is best to spray when temps are not too high, or the seedlings/plants might get burn damage.

K :)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I usually just leave the container open for a day and lightly spray with water and give it some air and light and that usually kills off the fungus. The only time that didn't work was on 3 year old seeds and I don't think there was any chance they were going to germinate no matter what I did.

{{gwi:521456}}

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry - Thanks heaps for the quick response. It looks like Gonzer and I both benefit from your experience.

All the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Nev.
    I find seed/seedlings from the tillandsioide sub-family are the most prone to die-back and fungal problems - those fluffy-parachutey-santa-clausey-type ones of vrieseas, tills, guzmanias etc. I read on this forum a while back that someone actually burns the fluffy stuff off first, then sows the remaining seeds - with success. Some others use bleach on them beforehand, successfully. Jaga (and I) have been known to cut off the fluffy stuff, with patience and dexterity. Guzmania seed goes fungal if not sown super fresh.
    I have had the same results as shown in Bromadams' photo above, with stale seed - and no chance of germination.

Seed from the berries of the bromelioide sub-family (eg. aechmeas and neos) seem a lot tougher. I don't know about those seed from the pitcairnioide sub-family.

Cheers,
    K.

• User
    15 years ago

Kerry, that's a good idea about removing the parasols from Tillandsia seed. In fact, when pulling the seed out of their pods you could actually take something very sharp like bonsai shears and cut them all off together. The only drawback I can see is that they actually act as an adhesive, just have to be more careful when misting.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi bromadams - Thanks to you also for your response, I didn't see it until today as we must have both been posting at the same time.

Isn't this a great forum? You have a problem, you ask the question, and straight away you get an answer. It's great to have good Brom Friends.

All the best, Nev.

All the best, Nev.