Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drmedusae

Spider mites, Spider mites...

drmedusae
9 years ago

Am I correct that this is the handiwork of the dreaded spider mite? Is it safe to assume they are running wild in my apartment now, threat to all the plants present and any future plants? :(

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

To my mature vision, it appears to be the work of a larger spider. That would be good that it is not spider mites, bad if you have arachnophobia. As for me, I welcome the non-mite spiders.

tj

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tj, thanks, I would rather it not be spider mites. I found this on a plant I recently bought online so I don't suppose Mr. Large Spider is resident here in my apartment...at least I hope not...:)

I am scared of spiders but I like them. I have ever since my friend showed me this huge spider carrying a baby sac on its back when I had just shouted out, "arrrggghhh, huge spider, KILL IT." :D They are helpful creatures. I do not feel the same away about centipedes...yet...

Thanks a lot! :))

Btw, can people tell what spider it is the web itself?

Meddy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That is bound to be an egg sac/web and there are a few insects that might do that in addition to spiders. If you gently extract it and put it in a container you might get to see what you have.

tj

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tempting but I am going to pass on that, Tj...

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Spider mites are easily controlled.....1 cup water , one drop original Dawn, rubbing alcohol half a cap full in a spray bottle. And as for hatching unknown eggs....I PASS! Could be from a foreign source and poison or worse invasive. Burn it to be safe LOL

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the leaf was triple bagged and placed in the garbage receptacle outside. I did think about putting it out in the garden area but the thought of potentially introducing an invasive species made me stop. Maybe the egg sac already hatched in my apt...I can't tell from the pic. no happy thoughts.

• User
    9 years ago

Whoa! Bad news. Ever see 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'?

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*screeches*

no, but I just imdbed it. What's the bad news Gonzer? Are selerianas spider breeding pods? That huge bulb...I know it's meant for ants but what else---scorpions, rattlesnakes, rabid marmosets?

• sunshine_qld
    9 years ago

I think you are safe. Most critters that hatch out of sacs like that usually hang around for a few days before heading off.

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

roflmao @ bodysnatchers

• User
    9 years ago

SOMEbody got it!

• emma
    9 years ago

I had them once on a ever green and before I notice a 2 ft area was dead. I asked a nursery man about it and he said you can't see spider mites. He said to put a white sheet of paper under the area and shake the plant, then rub your fingers across the paper. If there are blood smears they are spider mites.

• drmedusae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all! One of the reasons why I initially got excited about airplants was because they do not need any soil with all the associated creepy crawlies but there is simply no escaping the little critters! :)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions