Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Galvanized steel safety

Posted by sid_marx (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 18:15

Hi Bromfolk,

Does anyone know whether galvnized steel is safe to use in tiered staging for bromeliads?

My concern is whether water dripping off the shelving picks up anything (like zinc/zinc oxide for example) that will harm the plants below when it drips into the cups or onto the leaves.

Thanks
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Galvanized steel safety

Hi John,

I've had no experience with tiered galvanised shelving, but I did grow brom's suspended on a sheet of sloping (new) galvanised mesh.
After a while I noticed that everywhere the leaves touched the mesh, they went brown, so I painted the mesh, and no more problem.

So I guess the answer to your question is that if the mesh is new and unpainted you could have some problems.

All the best, Nev.

o

Hey...I and others here have had some damage from what we believed was gal mesh & support. Below link started with good advice about CCA treated timber; but also has a helpful hint for treating gal. I have since used this on new gal benches and so far so good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try Vinegar!

o

Thanks very much Nev and bromaholic. I bought some galvanized wire mesh frames from a guy who was dismantling a commercial orchid greenhouse, they've been used as staging for years so it sounds like they'll be safe.

I'm avoiding treated wood, but am thinking of either cedar or hardwood decking timber for the legs and supports.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here