Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indentify this Ornamental Pineapple

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 18:35

This is probably too soon for people to help me identify this ornamental pineapple. This plant was originally from the fruit of an ornamental pineapple that has been severed from the mother plant. If I remember correctly, the pineapple fruit was about 2 or 3 inches at that time and it was about to be discarded. I took the fruit home, since I have previous experience of saving the tops of an pineapple fruits and planting it, I thought I'll try it with this inedible, miniature, pineapple fruit.

So I cut the top off, planted it on a very small pot with potting soil, and placed in a closed container to keep the humidity high. After more than three months with nothing of a sign if it's growing or not I was about to discarded it, thinking it was a failure, then decided to give it one more month. I'm so glad I waited because it finally showed sign that is growing by the addition of new leaves. I then transplanted into a bigger container.

Here is the picture of it a few more months later (the old leaves has been completely replaced with new ones):

Ornamental Pineapple 2

Ornametal Pineapple 1

I forgot how the mother plant look like--I think it has a red hue color to the leaves, but not as red as the young pineapple in the picture. The mother plant I think was grown in a 5 - 6 inches pot, so the mother plant wasn't that huge. Can anyone identify this young bromeliad plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indentify this Ornamental Pineapple

• Posted by hanwc Malaysia (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 23:32

Could be a Ananas lucidus

o

Could be. Ugh! Wish I could have written down the scientific name or have taken picture of it. Searching for Ananas lucidus yealded a lot of result that looks similar to the plant, so it's pretty much impossible to identify what I have.

Thank you, hanwc, for your reply!

o

Revision of Ananas recently , make this now Ananas comosus var, erectifolius , or even easier Ananas Chocolat.
The absence of spines and colour makes this id easy .

o

After more than two years, this plant finally produced pups and produced a fruit:

Ananas nana

Ananas nana fruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here