Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

Raising Tillandsia from seed

User
15 years ago

More like "Raising Arizona".

Fresh seed almost one year old.

T. usneoides (Spanish Moss)

There's a photo on Uncle D.'s site that has my pic of what he says is the first photographic evidence of root growth in SM.

{{gwi:522421}}

T. recurvata (Ball Moss)

{{gwi:522422}}

and T. vernicosa

{{gwi:522423}}

This is not something you'd like to do if you're in a hurry.

Comments (13)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Congratulations, Gonz, you have now officially entered Crazy Person territory. ;-)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Uncle D has his own site?

• bromadams
    15 years ago

"Fresh seed almost one year old." How can one year old seeds be fresh?

I'm going to take a crack at growing Tillandsia seeds, but I'm just going to put them on the rough surface of my Bismarkias and wish them the best.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I take it to mean the seed was sown fresh, and the seedlings are now almost one year old.

s l o o o w w w . . . . . .

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, crazy territory? Ah yes...but I learned from the best, right here!
    Hdd, on FCBS it's the sub-link "Ask Uncle Derek". The Australian site has one similar; "Detective Derek" or something like that.

• treehaus
    15 years ago

Gonzer, are the seedlings bound to the cork by some kind of adhesive?

It might be a slow process but I'm sure it will be satisfying to see them grow up.

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

Hey Gonzer, do you watch grass grow to? All kidding aside I am pretty patient, but I don't think I could do that.

• atmccmn
    15 years ago

Hi gonzer, you are not alone. I grow them from seeds too.
    Just properly label and totally forget about them for a couple of years until.......Viola....you'll see new offsprings in odd shapes.

Cheers
    AT

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Gonzer - Good onya! I've got the patience but not the years to wait.
    What ever you get, you can at least say you did it right from start to finish.

All the best, Nev.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been saving all the little bits of patience that've come my way over the years, kinda hoarding them, for a venture like this. Like that commercial for the rotisserie oven.."Just set it and forget it!" They actually adhere to the bark after a few mistings. The last order from overseas included viable seed with most of the plants and most of it has germinated: T. aizoides, landbeckii, pedicelatta, chuscongensis and a few others. So, I'll resurrect this thread in about 5 years.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Gonzer, we are almost at the five year mark. How are they coming along? Were you able to hang with them? I would love to see updates! Actually, I would like to see the original photos, too, as they were apparently moved or deleted. I hope you have a few nice plants out of this.

Carol in Jacksonville

• longfellow
    10 years ago

yes Gonzer would love to see the till's and how they are going cheers

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All my seedlings got wiped out last year in a heat wave. No biggie. Only my T.friesii seedlings stayed on and they're slower than legless turtle!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions