Anybody know what this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neo ID please

No but if you send the pup over I could find out. LOL
It's different but nice.

o

When I got it, it was growing in a lot of sun in a thick mat of Live Oak leaves. It is stoloniferous so I put it in a basket and hung it up. It has a weird shininess to it that I hope will go away.

o

There seem to be several cvs that have the same look, Nick, so I'm not sure which one it is. The one I have is just tagged carolinae x fluminensis (seen here with fluminensis):

Photobucket

Then there's Johnny Cayenne and Heat Wave (see link), both Frasier hybrids. Mine may be too, I don't know. The formula is a little different for each of them, but they all have carolinae and fluminensis (AKA camorimiana, as of latest lumping) in them. There may be others too. I don't know how the heck you tell them apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated N. fluminensis hybrids

o

Thanks for the ID Lisa. The crosses I did with Neo Jill produced some plants that look a lot like your fluminensis.

o

Nick,
I've got Neo. "Heat Wave" in my collection from a grower in FL. It looks like an awfully good match to the photo that you've posted. From my experience, the "weird shininess" does not go away! Perhaps you'll learn to love it!

Paul

o

I thought shininess was a good thing. Why do you want it to go away? My cxf is not shiny, so I guess that rules that out.

o

Paul, I do think that it is 'Heat Wave' or equivalent. I'll label it that way but with a big question mark.

Lisa, it just looks artificial or metallic or something. I'm not really sure why I don't like the shininess, I just don't. I can't think of any other broms that I have with that kind of shininess.

o

Bromadams your plant is a Chester Skotak hybrid. I believe it was made back in the mid 1990's. It took 5-6 years to get the final results you now have
(Carolinae lineata X camorimiana) X camorimiana

o

Nick where did you get this plant?

o

I was visiting a friend and he had a big patch of it growing under a live oak tree so he let me clip some off. He doesn't know what it is either.

o

There is no doubt in my mind what it is and I would love to purchase any that maybe available.

o

I'll see if my friend would want to part with any more of them. I should see him this week.

o

Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here