Comments (13)

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

No but if you send the pup over I could find out. LOL
    It's different but nice.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I got it, it was growing in a lot of sun in a thick mat of Live Oak leaves. It is stoloniferous so I put it in a basket and hung it up. It has a weird shininess to it that I hope will go away.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

There seem to be several cvs that have the same look, Nick, so I'm not sure which one it is. The one I have is just tagged carolinae x fluminensis (seen here with fluminensis):

{{gwi:522918}}

Then there's Johnny Cayenne and Heat Wave (see link), both Frasier hybrids. Mine may be too, I don't know. The formula is a little different for each of them, but they all have carolinae and fluminensis (AKA camorimiana, as of latest lumping) in them. There may be others too. I don't know how the heck you tell them apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated N. fluminensis hybrids

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ID Lisa. The crosses I did with Neo Jill produced some plants that look a lot like your fluminensis.

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

Nick,
    I've got Neo. "Heat Wave" in my collection from a grower in FL. It looks like an awfully good match to the photo that you've posted. From my experience, the "weird shininess" does not go away! Perhaps you'll learn to love it!

Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I thought shininess was a good thing. Why do you want it to go away? My cxf is not shiny, so I guess that rules that out.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paul, I do think that it is 'Heat Wave' or equivalent. I'll label it that way but with a big question mark.

Lisa, it just looks artificial or metallic or something. I'm not really sure why I don't like the shininess, I just don't. I can't think of any other broms that I have with that kind of shininess.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Bromadams your plant is a Chester Skotak hybrid. I believe it was made back in the mid 1990's. It took 5-6 years to get the final results you now have
    (Carolinae lineata X camorimiana) X camorimiana

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Nick where did you get this plant?

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was visiting a friend and he had a big patch of it growing under a live oak tree so he let me clip some off. He doesn't know what it is either.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

There is no doubt in my mind what it is and I would love to purchase any that maybe available.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll see if my friend would want to part with any more of them. I should see him this week.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Thank you

Sponsored
More Discussions