Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Blemishes - what is the cause?

brom_adorer
14 years ago

Some of my Neos have got blemishes that appeared overnight (so to speak)

They are under 70% beige cloth, but it does get hot, and we've had a couple of really hot days (temps in the 30's C)

Do you think its burn? Or could it be a a fungal thing? (I hope not)

I have since placed a large Alcantarea on the bench to help shade these, although the damage is already done. All three are next to each other, and plants on the rest of the bench appear unaffected. I'm not overly upset, but want to make sure I'm not going to infect the rest of the babies, should it be something else. Maybe I should isolate them anyway, just incase?

{{gwi:523218}}

{{gwi:523219}}

{{gwi:523220}}

BA

Comments (8)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi B.A if you look at the first photio and where the band of sunlight falls i think you have answered your own question ,and sometimes the angle of the leaf blade in relation to the sun can make a world of difference ,causing you to get that single spot like on photo 2 and 3 , i dont think its anything else but sunbleaching ,and we have had some stinking hot still days ,and the lack of air movement does make a difference as well. give those plants a bit more shade and mist them over regularly for about a week and no further signs of damage should appear ,best of luck ,Jack

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack, I wasn't observant enough to spot that band of light in pic one! It does look obvious doesn't it?
    I think the Alcant. will make the difference, and I think those three plants copped it because of the angle of the roof in that area. (flat, directly under midday sun) The other plants get more protection because of the walls and the angled roof in other areas. Sometimes the plants are getting light through two layers. Thats where I keep the variegated plants to keep the green in the leaves.
    There is a nice pup on the larger Blushing Tiger, and it has much better markings than Mum, so I'll keep mum for production and give her a spot in some shade.
    Its time to plant out some of these guys anyway, now I have some canopied areas. I'm glad of the little bit of rain we're getting, it helps to settle everything in.
    Thanks for your prompt answer Jack
    BA

• rickta66
    14 years ago

BA,

Sometimes the sun magnifies through the water in the well and causes spot burn as well.

Cheers,

Rick

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I agree those are burn spots and not any sort of pathogen that could spread. Your recent weather sounds like the probable culprit, but you might check and make sure nothing's dripping on them too.

I had some mysterious burning on some of my plants, just certain ones and not the ones next to them in the same conditions. I finally came to the conclusion it was from the feral cats that like to hang out on the shadehouse roof. Sometimes they do their business up there and there is drip. Not exactly a common problem, but you have to look at everything.

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thats a good point Lisa. My cay does like to sleep up there, and we are in a rural area with lots of wildlife and birds, so quite probable that there would be matter of some sort on the roof. (Ewwww!)
    Rick, the water in my Vriesea phillipo-coburgii cooked the centre on a hot day, but it has gone on to form a flower spike, (which has not fully emerged yet, but is looking ok)
    Actually, I got burnt the other day too, stupidly forgot the sunblock and went outdoors in a singlet top! Doh!
    BA

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I posted some pics of my Vriesea phillipo-coburgii, but they have since dissappeared, along with other replies to other threads. Nevermind, I'll post them again.
    {{gwi:523221}}
    {{gwi:523222}}
    BA

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I just thought I'd post this pic of my BT so you wouldn't feel so bad about yours BA ;-) In an attempt to get it to colour up (backyard can be a bit all or nothing in the sun stakes) it copped a bit of burning, blemishing and fading. Some others have fared much worse unfortunately but at least when they have pups I'll have new plants to try again with.

I have since put together a few rough shade rooms though so hopefully now the broms can be a bit more protected whilst still getting enough light to colour up.

{{gwi:523223}}

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

We cooked a few broms here this past summer and we just had temps in the 20-30F which I am sure it will be spring before all the damage is seen

Sponsored
More Discussions