Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotdiggetydam

If you look realy close

hotdiggetydam
15 years ago

you will see the broms covered in..............SNOW!

{{gwi:439651}}

Comments (21)

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Hey HDD, I see the snow but that doesn't look like a Bromeliad to me???? It looks like some kind of palm or something.

It's freezing here and they are talking about the chance of snow late tonight and early tomorrow. I hope they are wrong and it all stays in YOUR part of TEXAS. LOL

I've been running my reg heater and a portable catalytic heater in the greenhouse. The portable only runs about 8 hours on a 16 oz bottle of propane. The neat thing about it is that it has a fan built in the will move the hot air around in the greenhouse. I have to go out there about 10 tonight and hook up another small bottle so it will run most of the night and keep it heated well enough that it will stay warm until I get up and check it again or it starts to warm up here alittle tomorrow. (crossing my fingers) for that.

I enjoyed your photo with the snow....but you keep that stuff to yourself, unless you want to send me some Christmas Eve, so I can have a white Christmas.

Buuuurrrrrrrrrrrr Marian

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooppps wrong photo,,,the broms are under the snow at the base of the palm...and it rarely snows here....so you will see it...last time it snowed here it lasted 10 minutes
    {{gwi:439652}}

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I'd be growing peaches or something and not bromeliads if I had to deal with that! It's hot and humid here.

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

Marian,
    They have adapters with hoses that allow you to use a full sized propane tank like for a gas grill, it would probably be cheaper to heat that way. I got one at a sporting goods store Coleman makes and sells them to be used with their camp stoves, lanterns, etc.

John

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was 80 degrees here last night

• neomea
    15 years ago

OK I am confused....you had snow, and 80 deg?

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

80 yesterday and snow today... yes

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

HDD it sounds like the kind of weather we have here in Cleveland.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Well I'll be!

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bambi this is a rare occurence here...last time it happened was 1944...we usually have a rough winter after a major hurricane hits this area,,,but not 4 inches of snow..yuck!

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Broms and palms in snow sounds and looks pretty surreal to me, HDD.
    From hurricanes to snow, with alternating heat - you've certainly copped the gamut...Which of your broms outdoors can survive those extremes?

K

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information regarding the Coleman heater John. I was thinking that they should have some kind of adapter or something to be able to change it to a bigger propane bottle. Those little 16 oz ones just keep you going half way through the night. LOL and who wants to get up and go change one out when it's below freezing outside? Not this little OLD LADY!

It got down to 25 here last night HDD and I didn't see any snow flurries thank goodness. When these old country roads get snow and ice on them they are very hard to travel on. Lot's of farmers end up in the ditches and have to get their tractors to pull themselves out with.

I'm glad we didn't get any snow. (big smile)

Happy Gardening Marian

• tomas
    15 years ago

Snow on tropicals can be impressive, but actualy may not be that bad. It can snow and it can keep even if the temperatures are above freezing.

Hdd, what is the palm pictured? A Dypsis or a ravenea?

Tomas

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marion its to cold where you are to snow....
    The palm is called a pindo or jelly palm..
    Kerry all the broms survive...our weather swings alot but this year has been extreme...the hurricane was what is called a hundred year storm...last time we saw one was in 1900...the snow 1944...I wont see any of this again in my life time

• williamr
    15 years ago

Didn't it snow in 2004 in your area hotdiggetydam?

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

it also snowed in 1984 and 1989

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi HDD - I saw the snow once - that'll do me.

All the best, Nev.

• chrisn82
    15 years ago

I got snow as well...!

{{gwi:523256}}

{{gwi:523257}}

{{gwi:523258}}

Neighbors cars.

{{gwi:523259}}

• neomea
    15 years ago

What the heck....? Are those Bills going to make it Chris?

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

Chris,
    Your photos are like my worst nightmare!- I imagine that snow suddenly comes before I've had a chance to move the bromeliads indoors. I've posted a picture in the past of my snow covered Puya. I routinely leave it out until our first snow- whch typically happens in early-mid November. Snow is a different experience around here. I had our roof reshingled three years ago on November 2. It snowed the next day, and our roof wasn't visible again until after Christmas!
    I hope your plants suffered no lasting damage!
    Paul

• chrisn82
    15 years ago

Hey everyone,

The plants all made it through fine. While the snow started around I think 1800 hrs, it almost all melted by around 2000 hrs. So the snow wasnt on the plants for long. The shade cloth has caught an amount so they didnt get the full brunt. And I had already brought in all my cold sensitive stuff that morning so no wories :)I covered everything shortly after I took photos so there was a litle warmth rentention.

We dont get much snow here except for every few years it seems. Ive lived in the south all my life and Ive only seen snow here like three or four times.

Sponsored
More Discussions