Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Clumps of crypts

ltecato
15 years ago

Hello. Last spring or summer I bought three bigger-than-usual cryptanthus to plant in my shady garden. During summer, when it's like a desert here, I water them about once a week along with my other broms nearby. As you can see by this photo, they've got a lot of pups now:

{{gwi:523596}}

What I'm wondering is, would it be better to separate the pups and spread them around or should I leave them alone? Are they more likely to rot if they're bunched up like that?

While I'm at it, here are some crypts and T. cyanea I planted in a pile of rocks:

{{gwi:523597}}

Broms growing in the shade of a philodendron. The roots are from a Vanda orchid I attached higher up so that it could draw water from the brom tanks.

{{gwi:523598}}

Other broms, including barely visible Dyckia:

{{gwi:523599}}

Comments (2)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

If it doesnt get to cold (below 45)and damp in winter where you live, I suppose crypts would grow in the ground...I dont like teh way mine look in winter so I move them inside in winter

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I'm starting to put my crypt pups out in the landscape. I probably won't go for a big clump, but keep them picked back to 2 or 3. The pups pretty much just fall off the mom, so if you get them at the right time they are easy to move around. I've found that some of the latter pups do come from deep under ground and those I leave alone.

Sponsored
More Discussions