Comments (8)

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Hi jaga, the second plant is Neoregelia wilsoniana

Cheers Richard

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi John and Agatha,

I agree with Richard that the second brom looks like Neoregelia wilsoniana.

The first brom looks like Aechmea triangularis, a species, grown hard and well. It tends to be a shy flowerer, but finally one of mine is now in flower. I really love its prominent spines and sculpted form.

{{gwi:523748}}

{{gwi:523749}}

{{gwi:523750}}

{{gwi:523751}}

{{gwi:523753}}

Coincidentally, I took those flowering photos just two days ago.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow that was a quick ! Thanks Richard & Kerry, our friend will be pleased to have her plants id. The first plant is grown in rocks & in full sun so perhaps that's why its more compact & more colured than yours Kerry? A flower would confirm it but can definitely see the resemblance.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Jaga, I do like the form and colour of that triangularis! I also grew my wilsoniana quite hard but a while back I moved it to a spot where it gets a bit more water and shade and it is doing much better!

Kerry, those triagularis pictures of you are stunning!

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

J+A - yes, your fellow brom collector's Ae. triangularis looks fantastic grown that way. I read somewhere that it gets its name from the dark red triangles which form at the sharply-recurved leaf tips. I thought mine were grown hard, especially on sunny tree branches, but your friend's one is the best I've seen. Compare the specimens in your photos and mine to the ones on fcbs photo index - obviously those have been grown much "softer".
    My ones grown epiphytically are a great haven for ants nests.

and thanks, Japie :) Do you have a photo or two of your Neo. wilsoniana, now under less-harsh growing conditions, to show us for comparison?

K

• User
    15 years ago

Indeed that's A. triangularis. Those spines are not easily forgotten!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi jaga - I don't know what the second one is but I would recognise those vicious spines of Ae. Triangularis anywhere having been wounded by them many times. I grow mine in an open exposed location also and it's similar to but not as well coloured as the one in the pic. The colour of my plant is about half way between the one pictured and Kerry's.

All the best, Nev.

• crittergirl
    15 years ago

Wow, that first one is beautiful! I love the spines. I'll have to see if I can find that around here.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions