Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Bromeliad Please

Posted by gardenbear1 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 22:32

This was a early Christmas gift and would like to know what kind of Bromeliad this is or at least what group it belongs too.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Bromeliad Please

Well its a Vriesea of the flowering type ,probably a Vr,carinata hybrid of some type
Jack

o

Thanks Jack for the name, Just one more question will this plant die after it blooms ? I did a search on them but didn't find any thing about them dieing after the mother plant blooms.

Bear

o

Hi Bear,yes eventually the mother plant dies after flowering ,but the pups live on ,when most Broms are grown in a clump ,most people never notice that the mother plant ' dies ' after flowering ,it can take a long time and as you remove the odd dead leaf and the pups continue to grow the process is not noticable ,all plants in nature sacrifice some growing part after flowering ,Broms just do it differently,the plant you have is making a pup ( or offset ) now and when its about 1/3 the size of the mum you can remove that and plant it seperately ,this will encourage mum to grow some more and you have spare plants ,or let nature take its course and grow it as a clump eventually ,best of luck
Jack

o

Hi Jack, Thanks for getting back to me about the mother plant dieing, I will watch for pups, gives me some thing to do this winter.

Bear

o

I think your picture shows a pup on the left side.

o

It does show a pup!Lucky you!Mine was almost rotten to the core before it showed any pup at all! o.o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here